Strawberry plants - dead leaves

• 19 Replies

toxorebel

Strawberry plants - dead leaves
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:46 »
Hi all,

My strawberry plants have lots of yellow/brown dead looking leaves, but they also have lots of green new growth too.  I was just wondering if I should cut off the dead leaves now or wait until spring when the plants are active and may recover better?

Thanks.

viettaclark

Re: Strawberry plants - dead leaves
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:51 »
I cut off all my dying leaves. It prevents infections and pest problems, lets air to the base and spurs on the plant to produce new growth.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 21:59 »
I get shut of the dead leaves too. Any green growth on there will soon be dead.

When they start to grow again next year givethem a feed with tomato feed or comfrey/nettle tea and away they'll grow :)

Babstreefern

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:18 »
As do I.  I get rid of all my dead leaves (I must apologise at this stage, I have a very large Mainecoon at on my lap as I'm trying to type, and if any of you know anything about cats, they always want to lie in the most awkward places, eg, in the middle of the page of a newspaper at exactly the spot you are reading :D).  Anyway, yes, I get rid of all the dead leaves and clean up the undergrowth as well, as Viettaclark says :D
Babs

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 16:20 »
I agree although I cut off all leaves in September/October, the new growth comes through very quickly.  In this way I can really clean up the patch including the slugs that I find!!!!  I feed it well afterwards and again in the spring.  In your current situation I would certainly cut back any old leaves now.

Remy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 20:13 »
I just planted my strawberries, is it right to mulch then with straw for the winter?

Remy

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 20:46 »
I just planted my strawberries, is it right to mulch then with straw for the winter?

Remy

I wouldn't as it is likely to encourage mildew and/or slugs etc.  I only use straw to keep the strawberries off the ground in the summer.

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 19:42 »
They don't need mulching and straw down over the Winter does encourage nasties.
Whoops!!! Just realised I've left the straw from fruiting on the bed! Tidy up time...... ::)

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 22:24 »
This year, I've dug out the old strawberries, and got some runners and planted up new ones.  What I did, was put down weed suppresent membrane, and then cut holes in it for each plant - I won't need straw next year :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 09:30 »
This year, I've dug out the old strawberries, and got some runners and planted up new ones.  What I did, was put down weed suppresent membrane, and then cut holes in it for each plant - I won't need straw next year :D

I'm an "accidental" strawberry grower (OK, it was me that bought the one Albion plant from a market last year!) but I now have about 20 new plants in a bed for next year.

I'm thinking of going down the weed suppressing membrane route myself but have never used it before.

Are there any disadvantages and are there types to avoid (e.g. is cheap stuff from the likes of Wilkos rubbish?!)  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

crh75

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 16:15 »
I've not used weed membrain for strawberries but I have used it for onions.  I found the thinner stuff totally disintergrated at the end of the second year.  If I was going to use it for my strawberries I would want to use better quality thicker membrain that would last the life of the plants (3-5 years).

Babstreefern

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 22:34 »
What I did when renewing the strawbs, after potting up loads of runners, I pulled out the old plants, completely dug over the soil, at the same time putting in loads of good black compost, raking it fine, putting in a quantity of slug pellets, then covering it over with membrane, making holes and putting in my plants :D

noshed

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 12:28 »
Slugs are a problem with the membrane, so bunging some pellets underneath is a must.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2010, 16:26 »
As do I.  I get rid of all my dead leaves (I must apologise at this stage, I have a very large Mainecoon at on my lap as I'm trying to type, and if any of you know anything about cats, they always want to lie in the most awkward places, eg, in the middle of the page of a newspaper at exactly the spot you are reading :D).  Anyway, yes, I get rid of all the dead leaves and clean up the undergrowth as well, as Viettaclark says :D
I have two torties (as well as two other cats) and one, Daphne, does the same with me. She typed an O yesterday but now I am trying to get her to type a D for Daphne! Sorry Moderator - got carried away. I too strim or cut off all the old leaves to give the new ones a chance to develop and also to prevent fungal disease. Am now going to Google Mainecoon cats! :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 16:39 »
So it's just me that doesn't cut off the old leaves...  ::)  I weeded and forked in the straw mulch that I put down in the spring (had a little tidy up of dead leaves) but mostly left them to get on with it..... naturally.

Worked the year before and the year before that. I have this strange idea that leaves left on the plants will give them something to keep the worst of the weather off.  :mellow:

New bed going in this spring - the old one has just one more year then....all the leaves come off!!!  :tongue2:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Dead Strawberry Plants

Started by Abunndance on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2021, 13:39
by Nobbie
xx
Strawberry Plants all dead

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 19:07
by Eblana
question
parsnip leaves dead

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2010, 20:46
by Nikkithefoot
xx
dead potted tom plants

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:52
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 35 queries.