By-Laws against Chickens??

• 19 Replies

paullewis

« on: November 03, 2008, 20:05 »
Having just moved into a place where the garden is big enough for me to have a few chickens, I've been told there may be a by-law against keeping them.

Shurly they cant tell me what animals I'm allowed to keep now??  Has anyone else heard of this? How would I find out?  Should I just get the chooks in, and make sure the neighbours get the odd half dozen eggs to guarentee their silence?

any advice greatfully received

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 20:21 »
It may  be worth checking your house deeds, as a friend of mine has a covenant in theirs that actually states they may not keep poultry of any kind.

I must admit I didn't actually check with the council in my area, but I did check with my neighbours if they had any problems, to which the resounding reply was, "Free range eggs, no problem".

C X
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 20:22 »
If you're a tenant it will say on your agreement

If you own it I'd go ahead and get a few and placate the neighbours with eggs.  ONLY if the garden is big enough though

desandchez

permission
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 20:23 »
we keep our girls on the allotment and we had to get permission from the council :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 20:24 »
I think it's been mentioned on here several times that folks living in Milton Keynes can't have any kind of poultry in their back gardens as it was written into everyone's deeds when the town was built back in the 80's (70's?) so it's entirely possible that you may have a local restriction.

Check with your local planning office, they would know for certain what you can and can't keep on your private property.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 20:29 »
I didn't check cos there's always some stick in the mud that says "you can't"  8)  

Well I can and do  :D

paullewis

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 20:40 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
I didn't check cos there's always some stick in the mud that says "you can't"  8)  

Well I can and do  :D

Thats kind of my thinking too really, think i might just have to get on with it!!!

If i'm not allowed, guess I'll become a gurilla poultry farmer!!!

Would keep them on the lottie, but STILL on the waitng list, although did take a differant route into town the other day, and walked past some i didn't even know where there, and there looked like a few empty too!!  Unfortunatly I was in a rush so couldn't nip in, (I don't know why, but whenever i nip in to some allotments I'm there at least half an hour!!) but will def be heading back down there soon I think!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 20:42 »
:wink:

jimroden

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 20:47 »
I have had a letter off nottingham city council to say that we can have the chook's at our house. Funny enough the lady who i spoke to has chickens too.

Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 20:52 »
Hi their paullewis! up untill our current house we always had new houses and the deeds always said that no animals should be kept on the property apart from domestic pets! (well arent our girlies pets????) well aparently this can only cause a problem if someone was to complain about them. then they would win if it went any further. we know people living in crowland that have chooks in a new house and they dont seem to worry. luckily our current house says nothing about livestock so i could have a cow too if i wanted :lol:
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paullewis

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 21:00 »
Quote from: "chickenlady"
the deeds always said that no animals should be kept on the property apart from domestic pets!

What classifies as domestic? If I house train them does that count??? I can't really get in my head how it would be any differant to having a rabbit hutch and run in my garden?  

Might make an annonomous (excuse my spelling) to the council and see what they say!!

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2008, 21:04 »
I wouldn't, the earth could land on your head 8)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 21:06 »
Any animal that is domesticated i suppose ie, tamed? anyway i wouldnt worry, i didnt even tell the neighbours, till we had had them for 3 months! turns out the one i was worried about loves chooks and i was worrying for nothing! gave him his first half dozen eggies today!

Spadefighter

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 21:12 »
I rang our council to check and they were helpful and encouraging. The mantra they kept repeating was 'As Long As It Does Not Cause Nuisance'. Definitely no cockerels either. Give them a ring and ask.

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2008, 21:43 »
Chickens are officially livestock, not pets, but I think it's a bit like havign to keep your garden tidy and no hedge, etc.
As said, make sure your neighbours are ok before you start or you'll have no defence.
And only keep 3 to start with. If you do it with the right set up, you'll have no smell to worry about and it won't look unsightly. And, as said, you'll have a few spare eggs to give away  :D

Rob 8)

xx
Local bye laws and legalities of keeping chickens at home

Started by Planner on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 00:41
by babe
xx
Chicken Laws

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:00
by josh5357
xx
Council by-laws

Started by PJM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:10
by babe
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 38 queries.