Quail ~ Why ??

• 12 Replies

Bigblacktaximan

Quail ~ Why ??
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:11 »
What I mean is.........just for eggs (I'm led to believe they're regarded as a delicacy in some circles?)

Do people eat Quail ?

Are they just 'ornamental' or space fillers ?

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Re: Quail ~ Why ??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 12:23 »
Quail eggs are quite tiny and expensive for their size and yes a delicacy.  Not sure I would want to keep these birds, what if you can't get rid of the eggs.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 12:32 »
Can't say I was overly impressed with quail eggs ??? Maybe that's just me though :)
Fiddley things to shell as well :lol:

Sarah :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 13:02 »
Someone gave me 6 quail eggs, and I didn't think they tasted any different to hens eggs.   believe people do eat quail, but Brian said they are a b****r to pluck!!!!

a couple in our village have got half a dozen, but they are just tiny pets!!!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 13:31 »
Quail eggs taste pretty much the same as hens eggs (as do pheasant and ostrich ) so IMHO they are mainly eaten for a novelty. Quail meat does have a slight gamey taste and can have a suprisingly large amount of flesh on them, one bird is plenty per person. Though a tad expensive sometimes the larger supermarkets do special offers on fresh stuffed quail, when this happens we often take half a dozen home. :)

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 17:20 »
Why????

Because they are cute  :tongue2: 

I sell mine as they breed.... I have never had to despatch any to eat..... yet!!!   But one has just damaged a leg and he is for the chop :( :(  We will eat him, but for a family of four I dont think he will go far.

If you have the correct colour (standard japanese strain) they are sexable at three weeks old and therefore sellable at four or five weeks old, making them a good return for investment.

I sell mine to local garden centres and to anyone who calls me via preloved etc.... they are becoming very popular for those not fortunate enough to be able to keep chickens due to neighbours or tiny gardens.

You can use their eggs to cook with.... just use three per one hens egg or if you want a fried egg I put four or five in a cup and fry as a whole.... certainly fiddly to shell when boiled, but lovely on toast with black pepper.

One other useless fact for those who have high cholestorol....... fertilised quail eggs are extremely low in cholestorol....... or so it says on google :)

:) :) :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

danmegal

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 20:25 »
Chookiechook, somebody I work with has offered me some quails but seemed to think they could not be sexed so it would be pot luck? Would they need to be kept completely separate from the chickens and what would I feed them?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 21:27 »
Hi...... go for it :)

They do need to be separate from chooks but can eat the same food :)

Mine all eat layers mash or pellets depending on their age (chick crumb when under 6 weeks).

They are all able to be sexed by the time they are 6/8 weeks old too :)

Normal coloured Japanese quail ladies have a spotty chest.... males have a plain chestnutty chest.

The other colour permutations are more difficult and need to be vent sexed.... ladies have a smiley bottom, males have a volcano shaped bottom.... and if you gently squeeze it, foam will come out  :tongue2: :blink:

Anyway even if it is pot luck, you can keep a couple of males together if there are enough females....

How many were you offered and what age/colour are they :)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 23:53 »
I love quails!  :D our only female has just laid her 1st egg  :D out of 10 successfully hatched babies we only have 1 girlie  :( will have to wait till next year for some more girls!

our little girl! Tiny.
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 00:05 »
Thats an unlucky ratio Chickenlady :( :(

What do you do with your boys???  You could still hatch some more out this year..... its never too late ;)

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 00:14 »
Thats an unlucky ratio Chickenlady :( :(

What do you do with your boys???  You could still hatch some more out this year..... its never too late ;)
Well as this 1st lot was for the kiddies pets we not allowed to eat them so a gamekeeper friend is taking them and will release them when they feel their ready!
May well hatch some more out this year but will have to wait till we get back off hols in a couple of weeks
Debbie

poppies

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:15 »
What I mean is.........just for eggs (I'm led to believe they're regarded as a delicacy in some circles?)

Do people eat Quail ?

Are they just 'ornamental' or space fillers ?

Hi reading one of your earlier post do you want to breed these to sell the  eggs and meat,  if so you will need to find a market for them  - which there is, and I think it could be quite profitable, I know resturants will buy them,  the eggs and the birds,  but I know nothing about regulations etc.

Bigblacktaximan

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 12:43 »
Poppies,

no,  I merely asked out of curiosity really,  they are, some of them quite 'pretty' and I can see a flock(?) adding a bit of interest to a now flower less garden.

I was merely curious as to wether folks did keep them to eat or produce eggs or just the pet aspect,    my curiousity I think somewhat fanned by the fact,  I'm a fat bloke and they dont look like they'd have much meat on them  :tongue2:

xx
quail??

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 19:18
by lisa80
xx
Dez res for Quail.

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 08:03
by Viv
xx
Quail

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 18:18
by Mulberry1990
exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 20:58
by jarrode0

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.