News from the refuge

• 312 Replies

Springlands

Re: News from the refuge
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2013, 14:39 »
Pamela - I am now sitting at my computer screen scratching at imaginary bites.  :lol:

Sorry to hear about Marta but from what you said it was for the best. Take care.  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2013, 17:34 »
I am at the refuge tomorrow, I have not been there since the big dog went off last Sunday.  This Sunday the refuge have a stall at Animal Plaza, a special market for everything to do with animals.  I am supposed to be taking Tibet (the dog living with us who had the leg opetation) with a view to someone adopting him  :( :(  He is only allowed to go to a special family, not just anyone.
I really do not want him to be adopted to another family, but we really cannot afford 5 dogs!!  He is a sweet dog, at night the others sleep outside, but Tibet is inside, every night he jumps up onto our bed, full of excitement, he lays inbetween us for 5 min then moves to the end of the bed and then off to the sofa.  Once it gets light he comes back to wake us up. 
Anyone want to adopt Tibet????

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2013, 23:25 »
It is all very weird with the dog that jumoed off the roof.  I saw a video of him on the ground and thought, how odd to take a video of a dog that had jumped off the roof, but the video was when he was found the morning before he jumped off the roof..... he could not walk then! 
I have been looking up Leigh symptoms on the internet- problems with joints/spine can be a sign, which Tibets sister had, far worse than Tibet (she had xrays that were clear) so we are wondering if the dog has leish?
I am at the refuge tomorrow- I hope his fleas are better/dead, we had to spray our car yesterday, there were fleas jumping about inside after taking himto the vet in it!!  I sprayed with a strong ant killer,shut the door and we left the car unopened for 30 hours!!

Pamela

Oliveview

« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2013, 15:05 »
Had another thought this morning- could the dog be epileptic? 

I was at the refuge this morning, flying dog is hobbling about n 3 legs, but is in a room alone, he must rest as much as possible.  He still has fleas, he has been treated though. ]The vet said a bone is broken after all, and the ligaments need operating on  :ohmy: :ohmy:  This is not just two steps back for us, it is a huge jump back :( :( :(

This weekend we are having a raffle, at the animal market, we have all donated ´good´ foods, so the prize is a nice big box of foodstuff and wine.  I should really make some meringues to go in it.  The food is not just a packet of rice, baked beans etc it is asparagus, tuna etc.   

I am taking Tibet along to the market on Sunday, so people can see he is up for adoption, also I am taking the puppy we are looking after.

On Sunday two of the young pups are going off to Barcelona to be adopted, we will miss them, they are such cute pups.  There is also a Podenco type going to Barcelona too, I have not met her, she was bought to the refuge this week, and is off to either be adopted or another refuge, I am not sure which. 
This week we have had 3 new dogs, the Podenco, a Spaniel type and the flying dog.

The bigger pups are getting big, there are 4 females and 2 males.  One of the males is the boss, we have had to take his smaller brother away from the group, the bigger pup is attacking him, I guess even at an early age one wants to be ´top dog´  The smaller male is in with some other dogs and his Mum, he is fine and the other dogs like him, so he is the lucky one. :D

Pamela

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 21:51 by Oliveview »

Oliveview

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2013, 22:06 »
Well an eventful day.
It started off with the injured dog going to another refuge for treatment, 700€ sowe were all put into a panic as the refuge is broke....  then we received good news, a man is going to pay the whole bill for us, so Casper can have his operation.  :D :D
I got to the refuge and Sara and I opened the gate and found 2 dogs had been thrown over the fence, we managed to get one, he was friendly but the other ran off we could not catch him.  Another lady came along and knew the owner of the dogs, she had told the lady that we did not have any room what so ever in the refuge for her dogs, so she just decided to dump them on us anyway.  >:( >:(  There is only so many dogs we can put together before it gets dangerous. 
Two of the tiny pups go off to new homes in Barcelona tomorrow the one remaining pup is going into foster care. 
The pup we are looking after is keeping us busy- tonight she was trying to enter the living room via the big window- the problem is the window has mosquito screens and she was trying to squeeze through the side- she had pulled the netting away!! She, Pele, is good at pinching shoes!!  She loves Charlie our Labrador.

Pamela

Sparkyrog

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2013, 22:44 »
Had another thought this morning- could the dog be epileptic? 

I was at the refuge this morning, flying dog is hobbling about n 3 legs, but is in a room alone, he must rest as much as possible.  He still has fleas, he has been treated though. ]The vet said a bone is broken after all, and the ligaments need operating on  :ohmy: :ohmy:  This is not just two steps back for us, it is a huge jump back :( :( :(

This weekend we are having a raffle, at the animal market, we have all donated ´good´ foods, so the prize is a nice big box of foodstuff and wine.  I should really make some meringues to go in it.  The food is not just a packet of rice, baked beans etc it is asparagus, tuna etc.   

I am taking Tibet along to the market on Sunday, so people can see he is up for adoption, also I am taking the puppy we are looking after.

On Sunday two of the young pups are going off to Barcelona to be adopted, we will miss them, they are such cute pups.  There is also a Podenco type going to Barcelona too, I have not met her, she was bought to the refuge this week, and is off to either be adopted or another refuge, I am not sure which. 
This week we have had 3 new dogs, the Podenco, a Spaniel type and the flying dog.

The bigger pups are getting big, there are 4 females and 2 males.  One of the males is the boss, we have had to take his smaller brother away from the group, the bigger pup is attacking him, I guess even at an early age one wants to be ´top dog´  The smaller male is in with some other dogs and his Mum, he is fine and the other dogs like him, so he is the lucky one. :D

Pamela
Epilepsy in dog's is indeed possible ! Unfortunately if that is the case it is a lifetime of treatment it can be controlled not cured : :( Although a friend of mine kept a collie cross going for 13 yr's 'it can also effect cat's  :(
I cook therefore I grow

Oliveview

« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2013, 23:03 »
Our dog here has fits, but very few, so the vet said until they start to get more frequent or longer there is no need for medication.  He just falls to the ground, uses all use of his legs, his eyes go ´strange´ then he is fine as if nothing has happened.  He had 3 last year but we have only seen one this year, it lasted under 5 minutes.

Pamela

Sparkyrog

« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2013, 23:45 »
Our dog here has fits, but very few, so the vet said until they start to get more frequent or longer there is no need for medication.  He just falls to the ground, uses all use of his legs, his eyes go ´strange´ then he is fine as if nothing has happened.  He had 3 last year but we have only seen one this year, it lasted under 5 minutes.

Pamela
Sorry Pam I can only go on what next door's granddaughter told me as it was her dog .

Oliveview

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2013, 15:53 »
Thankfully Jumbo is ok!! My cousins dog has bed epilepsy and is on pills.

Right, today's refuge news. I took pup to the animal plaza, where the refuge have a stall, we want people to be informed about us and to see our refuge dogs. Lola and Rogelia went along too, they were perfectly behaved, a young couple were very taken with Rogelia, a pug build but without a pug face, so we hope to hear more from them.
A couple of young women had a pup, free to a home, they had found her abandoned, so were trying to get her a home, they succeed, right near the end of the market, one of the girls was crying with happiness :D :happy:
You might be thinking, ' what about Tibet, was he adopted?'.
The answer is yes, Tibet has a forever family  :D :D :D. Us!!  We could not part with him in the end!!  :D :happy:
Jim says NO MORE dogs!!
We must be mad!
Yesterday another dog was found at the refuge! Just what we do not need!!

Pamela

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2013, 16:26 »
I knew you would keep Tibet, so pleased for him. Your Jim (like mine) always says no more but like you I always ignore that comment lol.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2013, 10:04 »
Some people went to the refuge last night to look at some of the big pups, with a view to adopt one.... instead they adopted Teo, a Labrador.  So now the pups (who are the size of a medium dog at about 4 months) can go into the stable where Teo was, they are wrecking machines!! There is nothing to wreck in the stable, thank goodness.  In the room they were in there are 2 hand basins, they chewed both the outlet pipes, so the water poors over the floor!!  They can be repaired now and we can wash our hands in there  :lol:

Pamela

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2013, 17:35 »
The big dog, the Doge de Bordeaux type is off to Barcelona on Sunday morning, thank goodness.  I hope we never take a dog like him in again, unless we have proper really secure kennels for them. He got out of his enclosure last night, the lady there said it was scary, I had voiced my concerns about the enclosure not being secure, I was told he would never get out!!  Thank god I was not there!!

Pamela

I can completely understand the fear of very big dogs Pamela. My uncle has had 2 staffy's now and their strength and bounciness does freak me out - both dogs were soft as muck but I think they look as though they might turn at any moment!!
My friend Gemma at school had a rottweiller - she used to scare me too!
And as a teen I was chased up a tree by 2 dobermanns! :lol: IT's funny thinking about it now, but terrifying at the time. They sat under the tree waiting for me for over an hour before their owner came looking for them!
My friend Rachels' GS's are a bit scary when they bark, but Lily knows me well and is lovely, but the puppy Duke (although he's not much of a puppy anymore) is very protective now and has gone for a family friend of Rachels' mum :unsure: so I'll be a bit wary of him.

Otherwise I've never had a problem with labs or retrievers - but I wouldn't like to have to intervene in a dog fight - you're very brave!

The movie of those puppies feeding was lovely by the way :D

Oliveview

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2013, 19:05 »
One of the volunteers dad found 5 pups, just young, starving at the side of the road yesterday, he has taken them to his house.  Our big pups are off to another refuge next month I think, that refuge has much better kennels and will be able to re-home easier than we can.  Have a look on the internet for La Voz de Marchena, this is a local paper, they have a big article about our refuge.

Pamela

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2013, 19:22 »
It looks good Pamela but I can't speak or read Spanish.   For those that can CLICK HERE    :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Springlands

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2013, 19:49 »
Well done Pamela - I was able to make out a little bit of the article using my mostly forgotten holiday Spanish - you have been given a well deserved good write up.  :)

xx
PACO IS ADOPTED ... YES I AM SHOUTING THE GOOD NEWS!- now bad news

Started by Oliveview on Pets without Feathers

45 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:38
by Oliveview
xx
Good News Bad News

Started by cissie on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 15:14
by cissie
xx
When days get bad at the refuge, they get bad

42 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 21:56
by shoozie
xx
2 refuge dogs off to new homes today

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2012, 15:00
by joyfull

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 39 queries.