good Compost making

• 18 Replies

andimac

Re: good Compost making
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 11:22 »
Thanks for the welcomes and yes, I'm fully intending to post, although I suspect many of my early posts will be questions as I soak up whatever wisdom I can find...

With regards to composting, I have 3 bins I built from pallets which are about 1m3 each. They still seem to fill up over the course of a growing cycle so end up being emptied to access the good compost at the end of the summer. Much as I keep trying to work them in rotation, it never quite happens as I simply haven't space for all the waste my garden produces- hopefully I will improve my bin management with experience. Perhaps a bit more brown material will speed up the overall process: I'd certainly prefer to shred and compost newspaper & cardboard instead of putting it in the recycle bin.
Meanwhile I have access to plenty of rotted horse manure so at least the soil is being fed.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 16:35 »
There is always loads of corrugated cardboard boxes at our local Sainsbods, I have read that the glue they use to make them is plant based and the red worms love the stuff, I use my shredder to break them down, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 13:18 »
Keeping on going with this and now starting on the 2nd dalek bin is there a chance I could be adding too much tea bags, currently adding about 100 a week together with loads of greens  & browns  ect even tried some shredded paper in bin 2 with the other stuff
could I over do it   with the tea bags or will they be fine and should I keep adding them ??

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2015, 13:27 »
I am going to do my very best this year and fill the bins with a 60-40 mix of browns and greens, I have 2 neighbours lined up with their grass clippings and as above cardboard kitchen scraps pee etc, it can be done as there are guys on youtube who convert their waste etc in 2 to 3 months, time will tell, Dave

xx
"Garden" compost - how good are you at making it?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 20:41
by snowdrops
clip
First allotment, absolutely overgrown - Making good progress!

Started by walterfilbert on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 28, 2019, 17:43
by jambop
xx
making compost

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 09, 2019, 12:41
by Vagabond
xx
Making Compost

Started by jonti007 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 07:43
by Leedsniner

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 38 queries.