What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2015, 08:40 »
Very organised, Robster! Put me to shame. Broad beans and peas in modules just starting to show. Will be planting more, and leeks, this afty. Trying to decide whether I should risk planting some carrots, or whether it's still way too wet and cold...
I don't really look like my avatar.

Robster

« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2015, 14:02 »
Just enthusiastic Pimento.  I'm still trying to not sow my outdoor tomatoes at the moment!!

jmc1949

« Reply #197 on: March 05, 2015, 16:05 »
I planted the onion sets into a bed. I've covered them with a double layer of debris netting to keep the birds off. Then put the hoops and netting up ready for the broccoli and sprouts. Trimmed the tops of the summer rasperberries and rewired the supports.
What happened to the forecasted sunny weather, it was cold and windy where I was :(

snowdrops

« Reply #198 on: March 05, 2015, 16:18 »
Today I had a bonfire,weeded what will be the onion bed,swoed around the fruit bushes & what will be the brassica bed. Looks a lot better now,which is more than can be said for me. I'm worn out  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

oldgrunge

« Reply #199 on: March 05, 2015, 20:21 »
Me too! Am absolutely cream crackered. Did some digging, then engaged in a life and death struggle trying to remove and old rose bush and a winter jasmine. Then sowed some peas and lettuce in the greenhouse.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

frizzy

« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2015, 19:51 »
Dug over the bits that weren't too wet (the lower end of my gravity defying allotment) including digging in green manure, planted spring garlic and couple of blackthorn bushes. Retrieved neighbour's black plastic from hedge.  Dug up last parsnips.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2015, 20:20 »
Soil milled the proposed bean bed and planted the broad beans.  Covered them with a cloche until they acclimatise, as it was very windy.
Took coat off at the plot for the first time this year, put it back on again half an hour later when the sun went in.
Sprinkled GrowOrganic around the fruit bushes and apple trees. The pots were quite dry already, so I watered.
Anne

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2015, 20:25 »
Digging! The soil is just starting to be less claggy and slightly easier to dig...

Cut some carpet and laid it down in front of the compost to replace the stuff that has about an inch of mud on top. Laid some more round the outside by hedge and located the missing pair of scissors from 2 years ago - underneath the previous carpet I was replacing. Started sweeping up to tidy up...

Kale has started sprouting.....

Liberated some glass recycle bags that I'm going to use for growing pumpkins above ground.
Everything spotty....

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2015, 13:28 »
Dug over my second onion bed (finding a few spuds!) and sprayed some glycophosphate on couch grass in my asparagus bed. ( Hopefully reduce the problem without harming crop) saw some small slugs so sprinkled a few pellets to hit them early.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

hanssg

« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2015, 13:36 »
toms and chillys in propagator and on plot garlic and shallots in despite having a bad back but they had to be done even if  i was on all fours.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2015, 20:36 »
Take it easy hanssg- you'll never last the season at that rate  :blush: backs can be tricky.

I needed to get the post mix out of the back of the shed, I needed to tidy the shed anyway, but  :wacko: those spiders <shudders> they were pretty big. 
So the shed got tidied.  The post got set, and some spiders are no more. 
Slugs despatched- 26 (under the weed suppressant)

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2015, 21:18 »
Carried on with the windbreak fence. Spent six days on it so far, not including all the time I spent sinking the 24 fence posts last autumn. Aaargh! Think it's just about the most boring job I've ever done on the allotments. Will HOPEFULLY finish it tomorrow - only the gate to make now! Still, iit was a lot warmer today and the sun was lovely. Spring is definitely not very far away! 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2015, 21:45 »
Got bags of yukky carpet and old plastic ready for tomorrow's tip run, weeded and fed the saffron, planted 10 wild roses around the field's new pond, potted on the pomegranate and chatted to quite a few plotholders about site stuff for the Committee. And then met up with my new plot partner to plan our attack on the clearing and for me to offload some of my seed stockpile in her direction.  :D

Ema

« Reply #208 on: March 08, 2015, 18:59 »
Wih the help of the OH we dug about 5x5 meters plus a raisedish bed. Risked sowing a row of peas, parsnips and broad beans. Found a snails orgy of 100+ nails on some timber off cuts next to my compost bin, didn't have the heart to kill them all so put them on some waste ground away from everyone's plots. Foud lots of shrew tunnels under plastic sheeting. Dug up a dozen small carrots that if overlooked under netting. Dug up a fartachoke plant enough there to feed a family for a week, put most of them on the compost as I can't be dealing with all the pealing. Exhausted! I have become so unfit over winter

Yana

« Reply #209 on: March 08, 2015, 19:31 »
Topped up compost bins with manure I had collected earlier today. Dug up last two rows of parsnips and dug bed over ready to take broad beans that are in the greenhouse.
Took cover off a different bed and gave it a quick rake over as the worms had done their business over the winter and taken the manure down into the soil, leaving a beautifully crumbly soil. Took a chance and put 5 rows of potatoes in (sounds a lot but each row is only 6 potatoes wide). Hope to put rest of potatoes in tomorrow. Fingers crossed weather stays above freezing.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.