What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 16:24 »
Harvested parsnips, two cabbage, three leeks, five beetroot need to get some weeding done but its cold and wet here.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 16:43 »
I'm moving plots from a half one to a full sized one. It in very good nick, but sadly due to work and weather haven't yet got there. I'm hoping next weekend will be nice weather. Just need to move manure from my old plot to the new one and possibly move my 3yo asparagus then I'll be happy.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 17:59 »
Not really on the plot, but I finally found 2 bits of wood that I need for the inside of my shed doors - OH had put them with the hoover.   ::)

Jackypam

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 22:35 »
Took a pile of peelings down to the compost and sat on the edge of the heap dreaming of spring 

Eblana

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 22:43 »
Continued building the new fence around the plot - beginning to really look like the OK Coral now.

Yana

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 23:19 »
More squash peelings for the compost, along with leek trimmings.
Had a great chat with the guy in the lottie shop about shallots and onions and came away with far too many bulbs of each. Never mind, I'll find space somewhere.
Had to empty the water butt that collects rainwater from the shed roof as butt nearly overflowing, such a shame.
Measured plot and planned out work programme to split raspberry bed into two distinct rows instead of the jungle it is now, create a new path between said rows and relocate strawberries growing in blue barrels. Quite a project but will be worth it.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 11:14 »
Well yesterday  ;)
finished the internal frame of the man greenhouse so now has the shelving in for the seedlings etc along with the irrigation to supply them.
Last trip to the tip with the junk I inherited when I took over this new plot.
Marked out the beds for growing some veg (hopefully)
Had my daily chat with the chooks, dont think they understand me but hey, at least they listen!
Had a chat with some other plot holders
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 12:26 »
I have started in earnest to get all of my plot productive as I have not had the time these last 18 months due to time away with work!! I marked out all the new beds and dug up all the edges so I can see what it all looks like, covered some of the paths with thick cardboard to slow down the couch grass, dug up soooooooooo much couch root from the beds I made a start on and did loads of tidying up. Lots more digging and root collecting coming up in the next few weeks but I have prepared enough space for all of the early sowings!! Feeling optimistic about this year and the amount of space for growing  :nowink:

Yana

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 18:31 »
New raspberry bed coming along nicely as dug out one complete row of canes, put in new path of woodchip over weed membrane, edged it with green corrugated plastic stuff (would have preferred wooden edging but none long enough to hand) and then the rain came on.
Tomorrow will thin second row of canes and replant thinnings in first row that was dug out. Any left over will go to half plot at furthest end of the site as there are gaps in the raspberry beds there.
That just leaves resisting the strawbs that are in half blue barrels. Easier said than done but then OH will be about at the weekend to help.
JOB DONE!!

Ema

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 22:41 »
Visited the plot at lunch time. The last of my beetroot and celery has been eaten. One of the poles to my kale cage has been snapped and something's eaten them all dear maybe. A lot of my fartichokes have been nibbled. There's fox poo all over my plot too :(

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 12:23 »
Planted in modules 14 comfrey root cuttings and 2 lots of autumn onion sets in bakers trays with mp compost, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Yana

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 17:46 »
Started day by sheltering in shed as rain came on, then sun came out, then rained again. Had a coffee, and the sun came out so started on raspberry beds.
Thinning of second row of raspberry canes turned into digging them all out as they were a jungle and easier to start again with empty bed. Didn't realise that raspberry roots went sooooooo deep. Anyways, all dug out, second bed dug over and marked out. Remainder of the area dug over and covered with weed membrane that the blue half barrels for strawbs will sit on. Had hoped to replant trimmed raspberry plants but was exhausted and the wind had picked up and was getting chilly. Rain forecast for tomorrow so might be Friday before can replant raspberries. Hope they are ok.

Robster

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 23:52 »
Not strictly on the plot but today I took charge of my seed potatoes. So they will be off to the cold north facing unheated bedroom window tomorrow.  Feels like things are getting underway.  Cracking

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 16:15 »
It's been a week since I got a look at my plot - and discovered another cat has vandalised the inside of my p/t. While I was fixing that, next doors cat decided to give me an extensive demonstration of why my p/t plastic looks like a teabag...

I'm so glad I didn't pay out serious money for a p/t.

I'm planning on a better layout this year.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Audy70

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2015, 18:27 »
Digging and more digging, the ground was just soft enough after yesterday's rain.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post April 16, 2024, 13:54
by Ali T

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.