pigeon manure

• 11 Replies

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
pigeon manure
« on: June 10, 2009, 16:47 »
hi every one.
 i have a sourse of pidgeon poo from a friend,i have about 10 bags on my lotty waiting now till autumn and its still fresh stuff and wiffs abit.my question is would it be best to empty it out in a pile to rot down,or will this still happen in the bag?do i need to let the air get to it? not really sure what to do! :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 20:10 by Ice »

ravenaround

Re: pidgeon manure
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 17:51 »
I'm no Expert but I do think you can use Pidgeon poo no problem. Heck they use bat Gauno for fertilizer So I'd say our local Sky rats poo is fine.

Don't take my word as final though I only started out growing veg last year.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 17:52 »
It'll probably be like chicken poo, and need only a light dressing if applied directly. How big are the bags? Ten bags sounds like it would do a LOT of ground.

karooba007

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 20:02 »
i used to keep pigeons. my neighbour use to take the stuff off me and use it lightly, fresh.
in return my pigeons used to eat some of his veg, and he used to chase them and throw stones to scare my lovely's away, b*****d  :mad:. this was before i started veg. growing  :).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 20:05 by karooba007 »

Trillium

Re: pigeon manure
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 20:13 »
If it's poo from racing pigeons, then it's fine. It its poo from wild birds that roost in say a dovecote, I'd be very careful of lice and other not nice things. Pigeon keepers ensure their birds are healthy and pest free.
It would probably stink a lot less if you dumped all the bags into a pile and let it age that way.

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 20:47 »
If this poo is from a loft of racing pigeons or similar then you will find they were more than likely fed on peas. Amonst the poo on the floor when cleaning out a loft are peas that would have been dropped by the pigeons. If you put this straight in to the ground you will end up with peas growing all over your plot. added to this pigeon manure is extremely strong and will burn the roots of crops it touches.
I have used the stuff myself years back, at the time I was told that it is the finest stuff out but needed a whole year to rot down properly. After the 12 months rotting down the results were extremely good when added to my veg patch.
All manure idealy needs to be in a minimum pile size of 3' square to adequetly generate enough heat to kill off the fly eggs and bacteria. the more air you can get in to the pile will accelerate the composting process. :)
Can you hear voices?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 00:47 »
'you will find they were more than likely fed on peas.'

Not always true. We're finding that meat chicken pellets are a better, cheaper source of protein for them. The peas you might find are easily spotted and pulled up.

pops

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 07:43 »
If it's poo from racing pigeons, then it's fine. It its poo from wild birds that roost in say a dovecote, I'd be very careful of lice and other not nice things. Pigeon keepers ensure their birds are healthy and pest free.
It would probably stink a lot less if you dumped all the bags into a pile and let it age that way.

just a thought,does  poo from racing pidgeons make your crops grow faster ?  ;)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:00 »
 :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Brassica Blaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:29 »
morning manure mates,they are racing pigeons,the feed looks like little brown balls and when i dug some in earlier in the year it did set itself,but was easy to pick out and it has burned one of my corn roots. i think i will empty it out and let it rot down in a pile.
 old bean said to use as a dressing,ive been digging it in ooops!  i dont really know how much to use.my beds are 3ft by 20ft.and i have 10 bags weighing about 20lbs each .some advice would be greatly appreciated old bean. :)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 08:40 »
I don't really know the application rate, but I'd think about a handful to the sq yd, so 6 or 7 handfuls per bed in your case. That may be too much though. It's not so much plants that need feeding as feeding the soil.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 15:44 »
Consider pigeon poo as potent as chicken poo - high on the scale. A little goes a long way unless your soil is extremely poor. Pigeon poo does need to rot down but it will do so more quickly than chicken poo.

And yes, pops, my plants do grow very fast  :D I have to be careful that they don't fly away.  ;)

xx
Pigeon Manure

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 14:27
by Christine
xx
Pigeon Manure

Started by Coach on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 07:59
by savbo
xx
Pigeon Manure

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 16:16
by lacewing
xx
pigeon manure

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 14:54
by Christine

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 38 queries.