Germinating Squashes Help

• 21 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Germinating Squashes Help
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 15:47 »
I germinate them in a propagator in the airing cupboard. The key is to make sure the compost is not too wet or they rot and to take them out as soon as they break through otherwise they get leggy. Put them on the windowsill or cold greenhouse after that. I grow dozens of varieties (old and new seed) and only the overly wet ones have failed.

Overly wet!! Now that's most likely to be a problem.  :(

I stuck mine in paper pots and into an unheated greenhouse that gets very warm during the day and holds a fair heat at night as it's on a high wall - acts like a thermal store. I intended taking them indoors at night - forgot .... 90% germination and old seeds too  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 15:56 »
One trick with squashes and cucurbits is to plant the seeds on their sides. And being mostly tropical plants, they prefer warm, not overly wet conditions for germinating.
It's also possible that seed crops were poor last year so plant lots more than you normally would and the odds should be in your favour.

ziggy66

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 19:51 »
I germinate them in a propagator in the airing cupboard. The key is to make sure the compost is not too wet or they rot and to take them out as soon as they break through otherwise they get leggy. Put them on the windowsill or cold greenhouse after that. I grow dozens of varieties (old and new seed) and only the overly wet ones have failed.

Too wet, hmmmm must be it.

Next year one year older, one year wiser thanks all

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 19:53 »
I sowed about 20 different varieties of squash on Sunday, and most of them have already germinated. They are in a heated propagator, with the seeds just pushed into the moist compost, with the pointed end down till they are level with the surface. Easy, even with some of the seed several years old.

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2010, 19:58 »
First lot failed, second lot have all come up, from same packet of seed, in same compost, in same conditions - bottom heat and grow light. So who knows? I dont!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2010, 22:26 »
I sowed all my courgettes, squashes, pumpkins, cues at the weekend in a heated propagator.  Most varieties (Crown Prince was 100%) have had complete success already.  I ran out of space though so the butternut squashes on the other hand, are in a pot in a plastic bag just on the windowsill and so far nothing.  I'll bung them in the propagator and move the others on to the windowsill  tomorrow and see what happens.

I always start mine off in a heated propagator and normally get really good results.

Hope this helps.
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2010, 19:00 »
First lot failed, second lot have all come up, from same packet of seed, in same compost, in same conditions - bottom heat and grow light. So who knows? I dont!

That's' the wonder of nature ..... when it works in your favour it's a real buzz  ;)

Keep at it - odds are you'll win eventually  ;)

xx
Germinating

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2006, 11:21
by muntjac
xx
Germinating parsnips

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 23:08
by Mrs Bee
xx
Leeks germinating

Started by ianl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2013, 23:08
by mjpalin
xx
Germinating in propagator

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 16:12
by mashauk

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.