chicken advise

• 13 Replies

dye29

chicken advise
« on: April 16, 2017, 22:27 »
hi all im a newby to keepig chickens so im gathering info before i get some , i have just got myself a allotment and going to keep chickens there is a hell of alot of space so im fencing it off for them is 6ft ok to keep them in and what do you guys put down to keep the hut clean from bugs ect

ghost61

Re: chicken advise
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 06:59 »
Your hens will need a house to sleep in as well as a run.  Count on at least one metre by one metre for each hen for the run, more being even better.  You will need to fox proof your run, and don't think that chicken wire will be sufficient - too many foxes (and vandals ) have got through that at our allotment.  Thick gauge wire is needed and either buried around the run, or surround the run with slabs to deter foxes digging in.  Use wood shavings for the run, and cover it to stop it getting muddy, and to provide shade and shelter. Read as much as you can before buying your hens, they are a big commitment and if you don't live near your allotment, are you happy to go down early morning to let them out and each evening to lock them up?  Every day, come rain and shine. 

There's lots of advice on this site as well as others.  I'm sure other contributors will give more info, hope you don't get put off!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 08:33 »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

There certainly is a lot of info available on the main site.  Some here to get you going  :)

http://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/keeping-chickens/keeping-chickens-allotment-poultry-plot/

http://www.chickens.allotment-garden.org/keeping-chickens/chicken-poultry-housing/

This forum thread might be useful as well - lots of ideas for set-ups

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73179.0

dye29

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:35 »
thanks for your replys guys ill tell you where im at so far , my allottment is 5mins from my house and the whole area is fenced off 8ft high to keep idiots out , my patch for chickens im using a shed for the hut then hopefully fence around with 6ft post and 6ft chicken wire

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 08:50 »
I would reiterate what ghost61 said in that chicken wire will not deter a fox, weld mesh is best. Do not under estimate the ability of a fox to find a way in. If the 8' outer boundary is fox proof, the height would usually be considered enough to keep a fox out, providing there is nothing that a fox could launch itself from! They do not consider how they will get out!! your 6' fence may keep your chooks in depending on their ability to fly and their determination to explore. You may need to clip one wing. Once you have sorted out all the details  and knowledge required chooks are great fun and easy to look after. Enjoy   :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 16:08 »
Agree Sassy, although I would put a cover on the run or wire at least as we have witnessed a local fox jump our 2m wall and walk across the top of the chicken run and then bounce off down the street clearing the wall again.  Our allotment is fenced off too, but kids and unwanted adults still get in, usually through someone leaving the gate open or unlocked.

We've had two people lose their chickens to foxes and one had the chicken wire cut and their hens let loose - fortunately the fox was elsewhere at the time!

Overprotection is highly recommended.  The sight of dead chickens is not pleasant and can be avoided by taking just the little extra care.

Mr R Design

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46 »
Read up lots first.

The hard part is spending the time getting things ready and avoiding succumbing to rushing out and getting the chickens.

What ever you do fencing-wise it needs to go underground as well to stop them digging underneath.

dye29

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 19:54 »
please can i have advise on my hens . i have powdered them with red mite and lice powder today do i need anything for fleas ect also whats best to keep my shed disinfected ideally a powder would be good as water will swell wood.
also what is the best diet layers pellets or mixed corn so far i have been mixing it 50/50 but ive heard mixed ideas . im very happy with my hens so any advise would be great to keep them healthy and bug free 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:09 »
I don't disinfect my coops, so can't advise on that, but your feeding regime sounds a bit heavy on the corn.

Layers pellets should be the main food, with corn as a treat.  If you have hybrid layers, they will be laying eggs almost daily and they need the nutrients from the pellets.  If you mix corn and pellets, the hens will pick the corn out and eat almost no pellets.

dye29

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 08:23 »
ah right my bad ill feed layers then when you say a treat is that just chuck a hand full in run daily ye

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 09:12 »
Yes a handful is plenty.

As your hens are on your plot, it will become an easy way to get them all running towards you at once.  Then you can check everyone is there, looking well and eating  :)

dye29

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:39 »
great thanks , my hens i believe are 18 weeks old out of 12 hens 2 are laying will the rest follow on soon any tips to get them laying better

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 14:03 »
18 weeks is quite early for start of lay, so the hens that are not laying should start over the next few weeks.  Usually their combs get bigger and redden up, as does the skin around their eyes and beaks.  This is the hen equivalent to false eyelashes and lipstick to advertise they are at their peak and prime breeding stock.

So long as they are busy, noisy and greedy, they are doing fine.  Too much corm makes hens fat and less likely to lay, so the adjustments you are making to your feeding regime are about as much as you can do.  The rest is down to mother nature and time  :)

dye29

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 20:40 »
thank you very much for help

xx
hi very new needs advise on chicken houses etc

Started by monkeyboysee on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 19:25
by ceri green
sad
Poorly chicken any advise

Started by Chicken girlie on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
poorly chicken, advise please

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 19:30
by Tony H
xx
Sick chicken advise please

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 12:37
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 40 queries.