Figs

• 4 Replies

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
Figs
« on: February 14, 2011, 21:57 »
Hi all, I have two young figs in pots. They were given as presents,but to be honest I aint got a clue what to do with them! Is it possible that somebody out there has the right info for me? I'm not even sure of soil type for the figs,although I can say they are both looking healthy in the potting compost I put them in last spring. I have kept them in the polytunnel over winter,I will put them outside when the weather warms. Thank-You.
people talk rubbish

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
Re: Figs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 22:26 »
Hi all, I have two young figs in pots. They were given as presents,but to be honest I aint got a clue what to do with them! Is it possible that somebody out there has the right info for me? I'm not even sure of soil type for the figs,although I can say they are both looking healthy in the potting compost I put them in last spring. I have kept them in the polytunnel over winter,I will put them outside when the weather warms. Thank-You.

I keep mine potted as they like their roots constrained. Mine are in JI no 3. Water sparingly until fruiting. Wrap in fleece in greenhouse - they need frost protection and I have a heater on low in mine. If they look good you must be doing right by them I would say.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 18:23 »
Do you know what variety they are?  Brown Turkey is a hardy variety in the UK and so will not need to be kept indoors.

As VVG says, if you keep them in pots then use John Innes #3 compost or regular soil.  Anything else won't have enough weight and long-term nutrients.

They perform best with restricted roots so if you plant them outside, use slabs or similar to create a restricted hole for them to grow into.  They like a sunny position.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

iggyboy60

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 21:00 »
Thanks guys,good advice and yes I believe mine are Brown Turkey. Will try them in JI this season and keep them in pots to (as you say), restrict their root growth. Here's to a great new season!

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 21:21 »
Thanks guys,good advice and yes I believe mine are Brown Turkey. Will try them in JI this season and keep them in pots to (as you say), restrict their root growth. Here's to a great new season!
I think I'm right in saying Brown Turkey is the one that is UK outdoor hardy, but I would still fleece it if you plant outdoors and the box method of containment using slabs is the one suggested by people in the know. They wrap them in Italy during their Winter and they do look funny.

xx
figs

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 21:38
by SUTTY1
xx
Anyone know anything about Figs???

Started by lina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 22:17
by tode
xx
Figs!!!!!!

Started by Kiki on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2011, 21:11
by operabunny
xx
Figs

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 18:52
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 38 queries.