New and need some advice please......getting very worried.

• 35 Replies

Casey76

Re: New and need some advice please......getting very worried.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011, 07:04 »
Goodness HF, don't you ever go to bed! ;)

Katy, I'm pleased that everything is getting sorted out.

I would definitely treat the others for lice and mites too (either with Harkamectin or frontline spot-ons)

And, although it may be tempting as the scales are raised and rough, please don't try to pull them off, it will make your bird(s) very sore, and increase the likelyhood of secondary infections.

What you can do, is that if ther are still build-ups of encrustations (and these encrustations are the faeces of the leg mites) is to soak the legs in warm water, and with a soft tooth brush clean the legs in that manner.  You can then apply vasiline to the legs once they have been cleaned and dried, but this is more to soften the scale a bit, rather than to smother the mites (which will have been killed by the spot-on treatment).

hillfooter

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24 »
Goodness HF, don't you ever go to bed! ;)

Katy, I'm pleased that everything is getting sorted out.

I would definitely treat the others for lice and mites too (either with Harkamectin or frontline spot-ons)

And, although it may be tempting as the scales are raised and rough, please don't try to pull them off, it will make your bird(s) very sore, and increase the likelyhood of secondary infections.

What you can do, is that if ther are still build-ups of encrustations (and these encrustations are the faeces of the leg mites) is to soak the legs in warm water, and with a soft tooth brush clean the legs in that manner.  You can then apply vasiline to the legs once they have been cleaned and dried, but this is more to soften the scale a bit, rather than to smother the mites (which will have been killed by the spot-on treatment).

I don't sleep a lot!

I must say I was a little concerned that the vet caused bleeding removing the encrustation.  The usual treatment is to sften the scales that are damaged with soapy water & petroleum jelly and gently scrub them off over time with a toothbrush,  use the MILs brush though :D.

HF
Truth through science.

katey

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2011, 19:27 »
Thanks all,
I've been waiting for sally the pilkie's leg/foot to heal up before i go in with the spray.I'm planning to spray and de-louse the whole flock this weekend,along with a very thorough clean of the coop.
Now i'm in a dilema.....get frontline/ivermectin or spray and louse powder.....or can i frontline and use leg spray?

hillfooter

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2011, 22:24 »
Thanks all,
I've been waiting for sally the pilkie's leg/foot to heal up before i go in with the spray.I'm planning to spray and de-louse the whole flock this weekend,along with a very thorough clean of the coop.
Now i'm in a dilema.....get frontline/ivermectin or spray and louse powder.....or can i frontline and use leg spray?

Get ivermectin or Frontline which i suspect are equally effective.  I don't know but I suspect Frontline will be more expensive.  One works on the body and one via the blood stream.  I think Frontline operates via the blood but I'm not sure. 

Don't buy anything you will find in your feed merchants store produced by Barrier I've never found their louse powder, red mite spray or powder to be effective (and I'm not the only one) it's just expensive talc for chickens.  In fact the powder is mostly sterilised Maize flour.  At over £10 a pop at most outlets that's very expensive flour.  The active ingredient in them is a mozzie repellent, Citriodiol, and as far as I was able to find out it had not been scientificaly trialed on mites or if it had Barrier were unable to furnish me with any evidence it had despite a long running correspondance with them.  I checked with the manufacturer of the active ingredient who had no knowledge of it being tested for effectiveness against mites.  Be careful who you trust in the pet meds business there are plenty of quack remedies on sale largely helped by the EU regulations on what testing is needed for pesticides and the cost of getting approval.  Not only are these companies robbing you they are preying on your vulnerability and concern for your animal and causing additional suffering by selling ineffective products with exaggerated marketing claims.

You may find this hard to believe but in 2009 Verm X were forced to withdraw advertising claims for the universal effectiveness of their natural organic wormer products after the The Advertising Standards Authority found in a ruling that they were unable to support such claims, ASA ref 74895.  ASA don't take action unilaterially they act on complaints so if you don't tread on the big boys toes the chances are even ASA won't act.  The Hobbist chicken market is hardly likely to attract their interest.

Things are at a pretty state of affairs when it's left to advertising standards to protect consumers from false claims.   You'd think that regulators might do this but they are only interested in ensuring the products don't contain anything which is actually harmful and infact concocting a product from an inert substance like sterilized Maize flour is a pretty sure and cheap way of achieving that.
HF

NormandyMary

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 18:42 »
If it is any consolation chickens can cope with a fair bit of prodding and poking to their feet.  We had Bumblefoot in quite a few of our chickens and ended up using a scalpel to remove the "bumble" and prod around in the hole to ensure all the pus was removed. 

All I would say is if you do end up disturbing scales or removing the lump results in an open wound, ensure you dress it and keep it clean and dry. 

If you have any doubts it may be worth visiting a poultry friendly vets (I know it's hardly the introduction to keeping chickens that you would want).

Good luck and I hope your chook is soon on the mend.  :)

I agree. As long as the chook feels safe in your arms (or another persons preferably)you can do virtually anything to their feet and they wont blink. My OH was too squeamish when I did the surgery on Mont's foot, so I had to do it alone. Please though, if you are in doubt, dont hang around, get her to the vets asap. Good Luck.

katey

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 13:21 »
Thanks  all!
I've frontlined them and am doing regular scrubs followed by vaseline to help improve things in the meantime.
I musy say that you lot have been a fantastic help. :)
Let's hope for some smooth sailing from now on.
Cheers everyone!!!! :D

xx
Advice on eggs please - Very Worried !!!

Started by francais on The Hen House

37 Replies
Last post December 07, 2009, 09:57
by francais
xx
Advice re poorly old hen please (lice and croup problem) worried :(

Started by rosie14 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 23:49
by rosie14
xx
advice needed, brahma walking strange im so worried

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 20:03
by Helenaj
xx
Getting worried now

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 13:14
by Evansent

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.