Hardening Off...

• 18 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: Hardening Off...
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 22:46 »
This is a really hard year for hardening off. I've been dragging mine in and out every day for weeks now. Some I've left in the tunnel overnight with some fleece on top if it's chilly, but the rest is still going in and out of the house. I've got tomato, squash and courgette plants with flowers and fruit on them, and they're still going in and out :)

I can't recall ever being still at this stage at this time of the year in my area.  Last year was horrible but so far I think this year is worse.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 23:19 »
Pretty much doing the same here.
The ones planted in the greenhouse borders obviously stay put with some polysheeting around them - the peppers, chillis and toms still in pots have come inside tonight cos it's meant to be cold  :dry:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 23:32 »
I did plant some Speedy French beans in my tunnel weeks ago, and they do actually have little beans and flowers on them now. They still don't look happy though. I have been putting fleece over them overnight if it's chilly, but the ones closest to the side look very chilled. I do wonder if they're better off if you start them off out there rather than starting them inside and then taking them out to a colder environment. I did sow loads of pots of French and runner beans, intended for outside, in my tunnel weeks back. They germinated fine out there and have grown on well in their pots. I tried this last year and I'm convinced it's a better start than being inside the house and then moving outside.

My local forecast seems to be saying it'll be chilly this weekend but then the temps should start getting back to normal, fingers crossed. I've got to start planting them out soon, warm or not.

al78

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 23:59 »
This is a really hard year for hardening off. I've been dragging mine in and out every day for weeks now. Some I've left in the tunnel overnight with some fleece on top if it's chilly, but the rest is still going in and out of the house. I've got tomato, squash and courgette plants with flowers and fruit on them, and they're still going in and out :)

I can't recall ever being still at this stage at this time of the year in my area.  Last year was horrible but so far I think this year is worse.

This just about sums it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/22631057

xx
Hardening off

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 22, 2014, 14:34
by rogertb
xx
hardening off

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 21:51
by sunshineband
xx
Hardening Off

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 20:32
by peapod
xx
Hardening off...

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 13:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 40 queries.