dusting hens advice please

• 6 Replies

Henlady

• Experienced Member
dusting hens advice please
« on: March 13, 2010, 19:21 »
had my hens for 3 weeks and know i should treat them for lice and mites and I have the powder but just not sure how to do it.  i saw a clip on youtube whic almost put me off.  how do you do it?  I also read some where not to allow powder near their ventsnis this right?

leddenton

Re: dusting hens advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 15:15 »
I was advised when I got my girls to dust the nesting box liberally with lice powder when cleaned out. seems to have worked O.K

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 16:10 »
I got a friend to come and help hold each hen while I put the lice powder mainly under the wings, some on their necks and around their bottom.  I have had my hens since November and only did this about 3 or 4 weeks ago for the first time.  I also put lice powder on the floor of the coop and in the nest boxes every time I do a big clean.  I poo pick the house every day but do a big clean out every 2 weeks.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

walker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 16:19 »
you could put your lice powder in the area where the chucks dust bath and let them apply it themselves not fool proof but better than nothing at all.
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

mjd

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 21:13 »
I have found the best way is to hold them (one at a time :D)by their legs with one hand, then gently turn them upside down they usually relax and spread their wings, the powder can then be applied with your other hand.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 22:09 »
Just grab one, kneel down and put the bird between your legs; hold with left hand (if right handed);throw on the powder and massage into the feathers and down to the skin. They will whinge and when you're finished make a great show of fluffing up and looking dignified. You need to separate the 'done' ones from the others or you'll never finish! As usual it is a case of being firm and gentle to give confidence to the bird. Ignore complaints. They are unhappy about having their necks handled and, because they have no diaphragm as in humans, it is more comfortable for them if you have the holding hand supporting the breast bone. Once you start massaging they will relax and let you continue. Keep talking to them as you would a child.
After you've finished they will all go and find the dirtiest possible piece of ground to give themselves a dust bath :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 23:28 »
you can also put the powder in an old pillow case, place the hen in - keeping her head out and then pat the powder into her.
Staffies are softer than you think.

question
Dusting Chickens

Started by susiedig on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 11:56
by Lastcast
xx
Pale Comb with a white dusting?

Started by westview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 21:42
by westview
xx
When do I start dusting my chicks for mites?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 15:50
by ANHBUC
xx
Large run dusting for red mite? Like Aunty's run!

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 10:05
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 40 queries.