:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
WG's tipple
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 22:52 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Leave some bandwidth to the sophisticated members of this forum.

Who do you think you are kidding  :?:  Not me  :lol:  :lol:

Ann

WG's tipple
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 23:16 »
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
The awful truth is that I.....................just can't stand the stuff. :

Neither could I until I visited the distillery in Oban, after the tasting I realised how good a single malt could be.  WG I have now progressed to Talisker which is my favourite.

Ice

• muck spreader
WG's tipple
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 23:20 »
Quote from: "Ann"
Quote from: "Ice hockey mad"
The awful truth is that I.....................just can't stand the stuff. :

Neither could I until I visited the distillery in Oban, after the tasting I realised how good a single malt could be.  WG I have now progressed to Talisker which is my favourite.

Ok WG, invite all us unbelievers up for a tasting.  Maybe we could combine that with a camping party for Muntys return. :wink:  :lol:

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 10:02 »
Quote from: "Ann"
Talisker is indeed a fine drop.  Since you like the peaty ones, maybe you should try one of the Islay malts, e.g. Bowmore, Laphroiag, Lagavulin, Caol Ila.

And to any heathens reading this, yes of course you are invited up for a tasting.  Easier still, pop into your local pub and try a single malt at my expense.  Just tell the friendly bar-keep to charge it to WG's account.

Suggestions (since most folks find the peaty ones an acquired taste) : Macallan, Balvenie, Glenmorangie, Glendronach, Highland Park, Glenlivet.  Very mild whiskies would be Glenturret or Glenfiddich

Serving suggestion : Neat or with just a little chilled water.  I usually have a glass of iced water to sip separately.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
WG's tipple
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 16:31 »
OH has just polished off a bottle of Lochnagar whisky, but I think he prefers Bushmills.

WG.

WG's tipple
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 17:00 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
OH has just polished off a bottle of Lochnagar whisky, but I think he prefers Bushmills.
 :shock: In a one-er??

Well I never even knew there was a distillery near Balmoral.  Next time I run into Chuck & Camilla, I'll ask him what he's got in his hip flask.

Ann

WG's tipple
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 19:34 »
Lagavulin and Laphroiag are in top 5

Knulpuk

Malt views!
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 11:23 »
A big fan of Balvenie Double wood. Bought a bottle of Auchroisk last weekend (I think used to be Singleton) - very good too. Have a resonable collection - nothing too expensive and not collected for the sake of it - it all gets tasted! Have a bottle of Suntory recently bought over from Japan awaiting a tasting too. Recently given a bottle of Cardhu from an aged relative sitting in their cupboard (the whisky not the relative) - also (trend here) very good.

WG.

Re: Balvenie Doublewood
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 11:45 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Balvenie Doublewood tonight.  Absolute bl**dy nectar.  Beautiful whisky made just 6 miles along the road in Dufftown.  Same family-owned company that makes Glenfiddich.

Doublewood is pricey but well worth the money if you are looking for a gift for someone special (could include yourself, of course).   The name refers to its double maturation in two different types of oak cask.

Yup, it is right up there in my Top 5 Malts - along with about 10 others!

Try the Balvenie Portwood too Knulpuk, sometime you've got £40-odd doing nothing better.

Feel free to file a report on Suntory once you've sampled.  Very interesting story about how the whole Japanese whisky thing took off due to one man : Masataka Taketsuru : see http://www.nikka.com/eng/founder/index.html

Knulpuk

Will give that a read
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 11:54 »
The world whiskies award recently gave the Suntory Hibaki the best blend in the world and the Taketsuru the best blended malt. They are clearly doing something right!

Has anyone tried the Penderyn Welsh whisky by the way - its not cheap be interested to hear any views

Annie

WG's tipple
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 17:29 »
Another Whiskey hater  owning up here,all the rest of the family and inlaws love single malts but I`d rather have the water on it`s own.

Knulpuk

WG's tipple
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 22:08 »
I guess its an acquired taste - my wife hates it. The only things I would say say would be give a different malt a sip now and again - you never know - and also be careful what you you try - kicking of with a Lagavulin or a Laphroig or any other "powerful" whisky might make wonder how anyone could like it!

Perhaps a gentler lowland or even speyside whisky might be a gentler introduction - maybe with a bit of water to take out the kick.

But waters good too!

SkipRat

WG's tipple
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2007, 17:34 »
My favourite is Glenmorangie, since drinking single malt I cant drink grain whiskeys at all even with a mixer. But give me a Glenmorangie with an ice cube lovely  :D
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Annie

WG's tipple
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2007, 19:49 »
I`ve tried all kinds of single malts and come to the conclusion that it`s a waste of good whisky trying any more.Pass the port someone! :lol:

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 40 queries.