Our Allotment is Full

• 15 Replies

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:18 »
Hi

Our allotment site is full again.  We had 17 on the waiting list  :shock: we have divided up the full plots to allow people to get on the site, so now down to 10 as another half plot was vacant.

I was down there yesterday and met two of the people taking over a half plot, they seemed very nice and I even roped him into helping to move a shed for another plot holder. It took 6 people to move the very solid built shed.

It was nice catching up with the other plot holders although no digging could be done.
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 15:18 »
Hi,

The field I am on has 25 on the waiting list but TBH with you, when it comes to letting someone on the waiting list know there is a plot available, they either don't want it or think it is too much like hard work.

Worst case I have seen is someone was given a plot, dug it all over, put up a shed and then verbally forced off it by a few certain individuals on the field.  There is going to be a committe re-shuffle this year so I am told by the resident gossip.

From what I understand, the people that are so called 'running' the field are getting too big for their boots.  It's sad but there we go!

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 22:35 »
there is about 100 people on our waiting list!
One lady apparently took over a plot,but was suprised the council didnt plant the vege for her!
She thought she just had to water the crops and reap the harvest. :shock:
She didnt last 2 minutes.

MoreWhisky

Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 22:39 »
Quote from: "MOLUSC"
there is about 100 people on our waiting list!
One lady apparently took over a plot,but was suprised the council didnt plant the vege for her!
She thought she just had to water the crops and reap the harvest. :shock:
She didnt last 2 minutes.

Are u kidding?
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

tallulah

Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:32 »
You mean the council DON'T do that for you?  So THAT'S why I never get any crops!  :lol:  :lol:

M2R - not sure how this could've happened?  Was there a personality clash or did the new plot holder have some unpleasant personal habits!  How can you get verbally abused off your own plot?

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:57 »
tallulah: There is a lot of jealousy on the field at the moment.  The 'managment' team on the allotments are getting too big for their boots.

I was (and still am) the second plot holder to get chickens and a few individuals (the 2 'managers') tried every way possible to put me off the idea.  I told them both to go and do one (excuse me) and got my chickens.

The same happened with my greenhouse (which is going up in the next few weeks) and my polytunnel (once I find the last parts) AND A SHED (now up)!

They want the field run their way but as it is a council run allotments, they don't really have any say so I am told by the field gossip.

I (and a lot of other plot holders) don't think it can get any worse but we'll see...  A committee re-think is coming so I am told :-)

nicchick

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 18:33 »
I have visited matthew2riches allotment when I collected some manure and he has a great setup there. He is doing a great job with his chickens.
His plot is much tidier than ours, I was a bit embarrassed when I got back to ours!
I want a shed...

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 18:58 »
There's no waiting list here, and some spare plots. I think the problem with ours are that the plots are too big. I share mine with another couple. The plot is 40 metres long and 10 metres wide. In the two years that I've been on the site i have seen a lot of people come and go. They get their plot, start to work on it, realize how much work is involved and give up. Its the same with the couple i share with. When we started, they thought it was going to be a case of popping down there for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning, and that was it. Its amazing in the spring, when every thing is growing and they stand and wonder why their crops haven't grown. An example was carrot seed planted in the ground and weeds six inch's high either side :roll: .
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Parsnip

Re: Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 19:23 »
Quote from: "Heifer73"
Hi

Our allotment site is full again.  We had 17 on the waiting list  :shock: we have divided up the full plots to allow people to get on the site, so now down to 10 as another half plot was vacant.

I was down there yesterday and met two of the people taking over a half plot, they seemed very nice and I even roped him into helping to move a shed for another plot holder. It took 6 people to move the very solid built shed.

It was nice catching up with the other plot holders although no digging could be done.

Hello Heifer, whereabouts in Coventry are you..?

I'm in Wolston and have just taken on a half plot ( like stevep's they are massive) my half plot measures about 40 metres by eight at on the site in village. There was no way I was taking on a full one.. :lol:

There are still plots available if you have people that are prepared to come out of the city a bit? :?

That said when I applied for my plot, they had had loads of enquiries. You don't have to local to have a site.

I still can't get over how cheap it is either.. :shock:

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 19:31 »
Hi ...  Steve P... same story where I have a lot, young couple,
babe in pram, sun shade over said babe,
Went like absolute nutters for days, in the only sun we 'ad last y'r,
Guess what?  
Yep not seen 'em since....
I've now taken on their plot, inc' mine £25 a year.

PS.. there are two plots on the site, up for grabs.
If its in your neck of the woods PM me, theys yours,
No Water, no power, no toilets,....no restrictions...
do as you darn well please..chicks .. vedge ...
Its privately owned land.

Offer is there to any genuine taker...
ps google Gorsey bank B77
Oh! mods! delete as nec, no offence or gate will be taken.

Bye PAH :) 'in

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
HI PAH48
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 19:58 »
Hi PAH48,

No allotment committee here, its all run by the local council. No water or electric. Not sure about the poultry side of things. Only thing a am sure of is that if you want to grow fruit trees, you have to set them in dustbins to stunt the growth. Most of the plots here are occupied by older people, the younger ones just dont seem to want to know. Dont get me wrong, i know that gardening isnt everyones cup of tea, but in these hard times you would have thought that growing your own would save a young family a lot of money.

Jake

• Rockers
Re: HI PAH48
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 20:15 »
Quote from: "Steve.P"
.....Most of the plots here are occupied by older people, the younger ones just dont seem to want to know. Dont get me wrong, i know that gardening isnt everyones cup of tea, but in these hard times you would have thought that growing your own would save a young family a lot of money.

I promise you it is becoming popular with quite a number of young people. I started with the allotment thing just before I was 30 but had grown a bit in my garden a couple of years before that.

30 is young right? Hope so anyway.

A few people a bit younger than me show a vague interest at work and I know a couple with a child and another on the way (both 28 I think) and the wife seems quite interested in growing her own she just doesn't have time right now, understandably.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 20:20 »
Quote from: "nicchick"
I have visited matthew2riches allotment when I collected some manure and he has a great setup there. He is doing a great job with his chickens.
His plot is much tidier than ours, I was a bit embarrassed when I got back to ours!
I want a shed...

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the comments.  Don't forget the other little stack I said you could have if you would like it - could you let me know in the next week or so?

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
30 is young right? Hope so anyway.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 20:32 »
To me age is a strange thing. If you are in your teens 30 is old, in your 50's its young. Thirty is a great age to get into allotments. It was a bit later for me, i was 37. It surprised me at the time. I think its like marmite. Love it or hate it.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
Our Allotment is Full
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 20:53 »
Steve P .... HECK i'M SMILIN' ER TO ER :)  :)  :)

a mate of mine earns a livin' diggin' cess  pits'
He calls in our local watering 'ole
draggin' bins   you could plant an 100yr old oak tree,
believe me .... just wondering if we stuck some wheels on them.cos
they got lids!!!!
W hEEEELLLLLY BINS :?:     :wink:  :wink:
Reckon   :roll:  they would     well  per'aps not :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
it were only an  :idea:

BYE pah :) 'in

xx
offered a full allotment

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 20:09
by fluffypebble
xx
Considering netting my full allotment

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 15, 2012, 17:33
by Judd
xx
Plot is now full.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 13:31
by Mitsy
xx
My new veg beds full of veg

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 20:14
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 38 queries.