Bubbling chicken

• 5 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Bubbling chicken
« on: October 30, 2011, 17:30 »
One of my 3 year old girls has been off colour today :( She was fine yesterday, but today she was not interested in wandering round the garden with the others and stood still most of the time puffed up.

When I got closer to her I could hear like a bubbling noise.  Can this be a sign of sour crop?  I have just locked them up and you can hear it quite loud in the house.  I had a feel of her crop and it does feel a bit squishy and large, but from memory it should be at night shouldn't it??  Should I check to see how it feels in the morning?

Ok confession time, 6 of them did share some chopped apple and left over grapes yesterday...could this have caused it, if it is sour crop??

Thank you

Emma
Emma

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Re: Bubbling chicken
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30 »
I have checked bluebell this morning and her crop feels empty. She however is very raspy. Any ideas? I feel that maybe a trip to the vet is on the cards :(

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 07:33 »
I have checked bluebell this morning and her crop feels empty. She however is very raspy. Any ideas? I feel that maybe a trip to the vet is on the cards :(

It certainly sounds as though she has a respiratory infection and needs antibiotics from the vet. It would be best to get her there as soon as you can, as not only will it cause her to go downhill it can spread to your other hens.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:39 »
I took your advice and have been to our vet this morning.

Having only ever had chickens making a one way trip, today I have discovered how truly wonderful my vet is  :D

He confirmed that she has a chest infection and that I need to treat her and my other girls.  He gave her an antibiotic injection and I have Denagard and Karidox to give them all in their water for the next 5 days and all of this (plus a lovely chat about chickens in general) for only £36!!!!!!! BARGIN  :D

I am just glad I acted as quickly as I did and she didn't get any worse and hopefully the others won't get it as well now.

Emma

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:41 »
brilliant news, fingers crossed she gets better soon  :).
If you want to send me a message with your vets details I can add them to our poultry friendly vets list (if they aren't already on it)  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:35 »
Thank you and yes they are already on here, and are in fact are the national centre that trains other vets on chickens.

I am just so lucky they are close by to me  :D

xx
Lethargic, puffed up hen with what sounds like a bubbling chest

Started by thelittlers on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 17:07
by joyfull
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken run

Started by dostle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 20:49
by Lewjam
xx
My one and only chicken

Started by redreet on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2017, 12:58
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 39 queries.