what do you grow in your greenhouse?

• 20 Replies

Grubbypaws

what do you grow in your greenhouse?
« on: June 27, 2011, 16:19 »
I have just acquired a mini greenhouse and want to know from folk what is the best thing that I can grow in it. I have never had a greenhouse before so I haven't a clue  :unsure:

I dont want to 'waste' any space so I would love to know from you all what you think are the top 3 'must grow' things.

Kleftiwallah

Re: what do you grow in your greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 16:51 »

Top three have got to be Tom's, Cuc's and (in mine) basil.  but anything that grows outdoors can be grown indoors. 

Keep to the stuff you like to eat and even better, the stuff you find expensive in the shops.    Cheers and good luck,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

simonwatson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 16:55 »
As above, plus Aubergines.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 16:57 »
Before we get too carried away, what size is said "mini" greenhouse?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 17:17 »
Actual growing space is about 8 foot by 4 foot so I am going to have to be very picky.

I have enough space outside so I want the best 3 things that need to be in a greenhouse environment.

Aubergines  :D now I am getting excited. Can you grow enough for it to be worthwhile?

'Keep to the stuff you like to eat and even better, the stuff you find expensive in the shops' I couldn't agree more, your suggestions please!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 17:19 »
I find that Aubergines are a bit hit & miss because of the weather, even in a glass house :(

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 17:26 »
OK they are out then. But what is in?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 17:40 »
As others have said, tomatoes aubergines peppers cucmbers and basil are good ideas.

Avoid brassicas, onion family, and pea / bean family.  In the height of summer it will be too hot for salad crops.  I wouldn't bother with courgettes or squash etc in there either.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 19:08 »
melons on my list too  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 19:20 »
Are you serious, I can grow melons and cucumbers?

:D :D :D

With the space available I will have to make some choices. So far my list is melon, cucumber and peppers. I love basil but it grows quite happily on my kitchen window sill; enough to put on the smoked salmon anyway  :happy:

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 12:30 »
I have a polytunnel which is a similar size and this is my first year with it.

I have an old paper pasting table down one side which I have used as a potting table.  I started all my allotment veg off from seed, using the table to keep them on.  I also have a two tier mini greenhouse thing (without the cover) which I used as an over flow.

Hubby has dug one raised bed which comes half way down the other side and I have a few tomato plants in that.   I also have a courgette plant (a mistake - I thought it was a cucumber!) in a pot in one corner and a cucumber (it really is a cucumber, not a courgette) in a pot between the courgette and the raised bed.  At the end of the walkway, sort of sitting between the raised bed and the paper pasting table, I have a pepper plant in a pot and just inside the door, opposite the courgette, I have a rather small watermelon plant.

On the table I have a tub of spring onions, two pots full of basil and two small windowboxes with mixed leaves in (although they don't seem to be enjoying the heat so I won't be planting anymore in the tunnel once these are gone).

I am hoping to put some winter salad in the raised bed when the toms come out but as I am not sure when that will be am not sure how practical that will be!

I have been really pleased with it so far and it was lovely to grow all our seedlings from seed for the allotment rather than buying plug plants.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 14:00 »
8'x4' is a good size! plenty of room for tomatoes but may be a bit late to start them?  I also have a fig tree in mine but the plant is getting a bit big now. Others on our site have a grape in their greenhouse but they can take over.

Next year, with a full season in front of you, you could grow peppers and chillies as well - they need a long growing season.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 14:32 »
8'x4' ....I can dream.... 6'x2' for mine!! And I've managed to squeeze in 6 courgettes (tying them up a cane), one beef and 6 normal tomato, two cucumbers, and two chilli plants hanging from the roof! I can't get in it, but the door is wide enough (and the greenhouse small enough) for me to reach everything from outside!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 18:07 »
Lots of you say cucumbers but mumofstig says that they die at every possible opportunity  :unsure:
I am limited in space so I want to grow things that are likely to be successful.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 18:54 »
Some people seem to have no trouble growing cucumbers either inside or out but I must admit I'm not one of them.

Other crops are fairly easy (at least to keep alive!) but not necessarily that productive (e.g. sweet peppers and aubergines.)

Tomatoes seem very suited to greenhouse growing and very productive, especially as they get some protection from blight which can ruin outdoor crops.

I've grown all the above on many occasions but this is my first year with a greenhouse; I'm trying all the usual suspects this year (except aubergines), plus sweet potatoes which look very happy (although I've no idea what's going on under all the foliage!) and also melons which are romping away in all directions (hopefully they will pause and have a think about producing some female flowers in the not too distant future!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 36 queries.