general gardening

• 34 Replies

wombling2006

general gardening
« on: August 02, 2006, 15:36 »
Good afternoon all from costa del Wigan.....I have just acquired an allotment amere skip away from where I live...It is very much a work in progress as it has a caravan shell 2 rotten sheds (1 with asbestos roof) and lots of japanese knot weed and mares tails...What joy...however I'm undeterred by the hard graft needed and after having a quick shuftie about knot weed would be extremely welcome on any advise to deal with it...I've managed to dig some of it up...not sure what to do with it to get rid though..same with the mares tail... :?                                                 I have lots of enthusiasm but not much experience so far....glad of any advice!!! I have until September (when I will be back at work) to make it an oasis of self sufficiency and calm...and yes I am a glass half full person!! hehe..

Just read another posted titled "invasive bamboo removal" which sounds similar to mine....Can amicide be bought easily from diy shops then??
....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
general gardening
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 17:16 »
Amicide (ammonium sulphamate) is the active ingredient in some brushwood killers available in your local DIY or you could try the organic catalogue for mail order or your local good garden centre, horticultural supplier.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 12:18 »
Cheers!! I shall be shopping later then, after burning as many weeds and rotten shed bits as possible... :)

Does anyone know if I could use the ashes (minus nails etc) for anything after??? I hate to throw anything away....

Trudi

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
general gardening
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 12:28 »
Bit of a tricky one that -
Wood ashes are a good source of potash, good for spuds and tomatoes BUT the preservatives on the shed may contain pollutants so using them may not be the best.

My own feeling would be that if the shed was weathered to use the ashes on the compost heap.  If fairly freshly covered with creosote to dispose of on the heap.

It's a bit like sewerage sludge. If all that went down the sewers was 'natural it would be fine but apperntly it has heavy metals (I thought they were a band) and hormones etc.

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 12:40 »
Hormones and heavy metal??? good grief..Yes I see what you mean...
what would you do with the ashes of japanese knot weed and mares tails then??? would they be ok as long as they are properly charcoaled?? :roll:

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 12:45 »
The sheds and site has been left derelict for some time..many have tried but failed to resurrect the allotment...one of the sheds to come down has an old asbestos roof as well...Lots of problems to deal with..just needs alot of tlc and preparing...Ive uploaded some pictures for anyone wanting a laugh..erm sorry..a look!!! :shock:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
general gardening
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 12:53 »
Your weed ashes are fine - mares tail soaked in water makes an anti-fungal spray (banned for use without extensive testing by the EU so I'm not suggesting you use it  :wink:  )
Took a look at your photos - you do like a challenge!

milkman

general gardening
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 15:40 »
Have had a look at your pics Wombling2006 and wish you much luck as you embark on your enterprise.  Japanese knotweed and marestail have to be 2 of the worst weeds of all time to be tackling on an allotment site and quite frankly I'm glad I've not had to deal with them on my plots.  My bindweed pales into insignificance compared to what you are facing.  If you manage to get these pernicious weeds under control you will deserve a medal!!! :tongue2:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 19:38 »
I feel like I deserve a medal today :( ....I'm just back from across the road...managed to get 1 shed down and was a humungous jurassic style knot weed clump at the back of it...the stump alone was 3mts high and the knot weed tangled in the tree behind it some 9ft high!!!  :cry: Had a shower but all I can smell is burnt japanese knot weed..aaarrgh...I'm now averaging about 5 hours hard slog a day and have found an absolute raft of car parts..oil filters, glass, aerials,wing mirrors...I would love to know who had it as a garage... I think they should be made to pay to clean it up...High point of today...Ive found a water butt and a compost bin hidden in the 9ft knot weed!!! hurrah....Its made it all worth it... :D

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 19:46 »
thanks for the info on the mares tail mix John....I have been a vegetarian since I was very small and will eventually want to have a lovely, hopefully organic allotment and would enjoy and have faith in using naturally occuring treatments rather than man made stuff...Plus I could use the info on my gardens at home now.. :)

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
general gardening
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2006, 08:45 »
Quote from: "wombling2006"
one of the sheds to come down has an old asbestos roof as well

Probably compressed white asbestos board, but has risks all the same, especially if disturbed (ie chipped, broken). It should be double-bagged for disposal. If it's a council allotment, see if their cleansing/waste management people will agree to collect and dispose of it. Whatever you do, don't saw it up or drill holes in it :shock: .

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2006, 14:08 »
Thanks Mick..I hope to be tackling it later on today/this weekend...Its tough really as to dismantle the shed I can't do anything else but disturb the asbestos roofing...I'm out to buy plastic to wrap it up in and some masks to wear while I'm dismantling...It is a privately owned allotment and council have told me today that I have to take it (by prior notification ) to an allocated asbestos skip at the local recycling place..fully wrapped and taped...I will have to break it up considerably to fit it in my car before I wrap it up...I'm certainly not looking forward to it.. :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
general gardening
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2006, 15:52 »
Ideally you should dress in one of those protective suit things but if you can get some disposable overalls and something to cover your hair (even one of those plastic rain caps women used to wear in the days of beehives) made from a carrier bag.
Dispose of clothes into a plastic bag and shower afterwards to ensure no fibres remain on you to inhale.
Basing that advise on some stuff I had from the states on what to do after the bomb dropped!
Somewhere I've the instructions on building an improvised air filter for your refuge room.

wombling2006

general gardening
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2006, 16:29 »
Now you mention the overall thing...I think I have seen them on my numerous travels....disposable ones would be ideal...I feel quite frightened and wary of it but needs must....I think I will hire a skip to get rid of the normal stuff....its overwhelming me at the moment...and even though Ive taken seats out and lined my car, theres still only so much 1 person can do...up side to this?? I've lost weight just in the past few days... :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
general gardening
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2006, 19:02 »
I didn't want to scare you but you breathe in white asbestos and you're probably OK but 10 / 20 years later you find out you were unlucky.
Bit like us smokers - did that last fag just kill me?
The upside to this is you will be fitter for the work, enjoy the veggies and help save the planet. Phew!!

xx
General Gardening

Started by Sparkyrog on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 05, 2019, 18:17
by rowlandwells
xx
Thirdly at the risk of dominating the general gardening forum LOL

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 21:50
by mumofstig
xx
General question about maintaining temperature

Started by zestymordant on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 21:16
by Sprinter60
xx
General soil type/flower advice

Started by cleverkitty on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2008, 20:48
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.