Home brew experts, advice please!

• 5 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« on: July 01, 2007, 22:31 »
I made some rhubarb wine a couple of months ago, and its been sitting in its demijohns inside the patio doors where it had been bubbling nicely.  As it had stopped bubbling, I racked it the other day, but when I tasted it, it still tasted rhubarby.  I must admit I'm not sure when it stopped bubbling, as I had forgotten about it.

If I add some more yeast, will it start bubbling again?  I don't want to add anymore sugar though, as its sweet enough.

thanks     Ann

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 07:24 »
hi grannieannie

if your wine has a low alcohol content,sometimesa cause of over sweetness,heresa remedy

make up half a pint of fresh fruit juice wiyh 1oz of sugar fresh yeast and nutrientas a starter.

when it is fermenting vigorously add an equal qauntity of the wine

when it is fermentingwell,again add an equal qauntity of wine, continue this until its all fermenting again

the rhubarb wine i make tastes rhubarby,my guess is its proberly done ,but im no expert

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05 »
Thanks flatcap, I'll do that.

I think this tastes too rhubarby, when I made rhubarb wine years ago, it tasted fruity, but not as strong as this one. So I don't think its ready yet.

I'll let you know how it goes.

SkipRat

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 16:00 »
Grannieannie do you have an hydrometer? if so you could check on its SG, and from the reading determine how much suger is left in the brew.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 16:12 »
Do you know skiprat, I've got 3 hydrometers, but never use them, I usually go by the taste, (if it tastes good, then drink it!)  But what do you put the hydrometer in?  I know they do those long glass things for them, but I haven't got one of those, but perhaps I could use my glass spaghetti jar?  that's long?  If I used  bottle, I'd never get the hydrometer out unless I tip the wine out as I'm going...  :D

David.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 17:56 »
If you took a reading now that showed there was still fermentable sugar in the wine, that would still be meaningless (in terms of re-starting) unless you knew the original gravity (or sugar content) and thus whether the full alcohol potential has already been reached.

xx
Anyone used this home brew kit supplier?

Started by hillfooter on Homebrew

11 Replies
Last post June 08, 2011, 23:54
by hillfooter
xx
Home Brew Shop

Started by Ladyrose56 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 01:40
by digalotty
xx
home brew books

Started by wayne170534 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 11:49
by Runwell-Steve
xx
home brew success.

Started by janet12000 on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 22:13
by jon & lesley

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 36 queries.