Heartbroken

• 12 Replies

chuckmad

Heartbroken
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:06 »
On Saturday, as I was eating my dinner and watching my two chooks, the neighbours dog pounced and grabbed my lovely Stella in his mouth and ran as fast as his four legs could carry him.
I'm afraid Stella didnt make it.  I find it hard to believe that two days later I am still not the better for what I saw.  I know its a chicken but .....................
I have yet to get any eggs but my fiance and I had spent half an hour watching the two chickens and were 99 percent certain that Stella was showing all the signs and we'd have an egg any day now.  I'm not sure if Betty will ever lay an egg now.  She got such a fright that she jumped up into the trees.  As my fiance (who doesnt do much of the hen keeping)  tried to get her she kept climbing higher and higher.  She would only come down when I tried to get her.
My neighbour has said he will replace Stella but at the moment I'm heartbroken.

carolbriar

Re: Heartbroken
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38 »
I am so sorry for you.  Betty I am sure will eventually get over the shock but it is better to have two chickens than one.  Betty would probably get very lonely on her own as they are a flock animal. 
How did the neighbours dog get in?  Were the chickens in a run?  These are perhaps things to consider when getting more chickens in case this happens again. I do hope everything works out and that you can enjoy your Betty and any future girls you get.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

chuckmad

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:46 »
The neighbours dog is normally kept in the garden with the gates closed but they were working in the garden so the gates were open. 
I dont have a run built yet so the chickens were sunning themselves next to the sun room.  We've just moved into our new house and my brother got me the coop and chickens as a surprise.  The gardens are being finished this week and we are building a proper run as soon as possible. 
I hope to get 3 more chickens as soon as I can keep them safe. Then the fun will start.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:04 »
So sorry chook.  I know exactly how you feel, I lost Alice last week, and was devastated.

Might be just a chicken, but grief is grief, and it feels the same no matter who or what you've lost.

Times a great healer.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 11:13 »
so sorry xx
to outsiders they may be "just chickens" but to those of us who have them and have got to know their little quirks and personalities they are far more than that.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 16:16 »
Im so sorry,  i love my chickens and i know how upsetting it is when you loose one. Big hugs x

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 16:25 »
im so sorry for your loss :( xxx

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 16:38 »
They are definitely not "Just chickens" they are SO much more than that.

lisa123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 08:06 »
so sorry for your loss. i can only imagine how you feel at this moment, my chooks are my world now. they are part of our family. it will get easier, try and think of the good times you had with her.x
Love may be blind but marriage is a real eye-opener

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 22:13 »
So sorry to hear of your loss, poor Stella - I know how hard it is to loose one, especially so unexpectedly.  As others have posted, they are most definately not "just chickens" they become part of the family in no time and worm their way into your affections just as much as any other pet.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

chuckmad

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:25 »
After my shock last week, I decided I couldnt leave Betty on her own for too long.  So I got two new hens on Tuesday and all seems well.  Hoping for an egg any day now.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 12:42 »
photos, photos, photos  :lol: :lol:

GTFC197

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 12:54 »
Sorry to hear of your bad news. :(   Chooks are not just chooks, ours are part of our family, they have even started answering back, just like the wife.  :tongue2: :lol:
Ooops, guess whose gonna be in trouble :nowink:

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 37 queries.