whitefly

• 2 Replies

ladybird

whitefly
« on: February 19, 2006, 08:09 »
I have a major problem trying to control whitefly on my plot, But dont like to use anything that may harm the good insects.
I have read somewhere about a natural remedy called Encarsia formosa but am not sure if this is for outdoor use.
I'd be grateful if anyone could advise, or have any other idias on how to control the little beasts.
I took over an allotment  approx 2 1/2 years ago on my retirement. Although I find that time is at a premium,  I realy enjoy spending as much time as I can at the allotment..--JUDY

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
whitefly
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 09:22 »
This is a wasp - but it is tiny and not the sort of thing you expect when you hear 'wasp'. Only really suitable for glasshouse or polytunnel, I'm afraid.

Ladybirds you can encourage - they are a wonderful natural predator. Also, avoid over use of fertiliser. High nitrogen results in sappy growth beloved of aphids.

Also, if you had a lot of whitefly last year, the predator population will be higher this year so the problem could well be less than you think. We've had some very sharp frosts as well, so that will reduce the starting level.

Good luck!!

Hope that helps
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

White fly
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 13:07 »
Quote from: "john"
Ladybirds you can encourage... (love) aphids

I have just found this post (sorry!). She has millions of white flies on her brassicas - don't think 'white fly' are aphids? Her white fly are like tiny moths (about 2mm long) and fly off if you jolt the leaves. They also seems to like tomatoes, so she plants french marigolds and tagetes amongst the plants.  Has done the same around the earlier brassicas, but not around the the later ones as she ran out of plants!

A nuisance here is that slugs and snails like baby marigolds ... so they are usually planted out when they are rather tough. But sometimes this does ot deter a determined slug.

White fly don't seem to do much actual damage, but when you come to cook the produce the white 'powdery film' is a pig to get off, especially on curly kale, so they are a real pest.  Dunno how else to deter them.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
whitefly

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 13, 2006, 22:50
by MontyTom
xx
Whitefly

Started by ghost61 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2013, 10:31
by Dr_Pepper
xx
whitefly

Started by shadsncoops on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2011, 21:23
by mumofstig
xx
whitefly !!!!!

Started by teasmade! on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 08:17
by DD.

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 33 queries.