Voting closed: May 22, 2007, 11:03

Kennel designs

• 6 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Kennel designs
« on: May 22, 2007, 11:03 »
ahoy hoy!

my little puppy Jack sometimes has to be left on his own, and i would rather he has access to the garden than being locked away in the house. So im looking for kennel designs.

He will only be in it during daytime, and only on occasion, but it needs to give him a nice warm space shielded from any rain, and be big enough for him to grow into (he's a lab so medium sized)

Im also going to visit a local petshop that have such things, and slyly measure one up  :wink:

NNNN
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Kennel designs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 17:33 »
It all depends on the reasons and type of dog.  Working farm dogs often don't go indoors at all, and some little lap pooches don't often go outdoors but I think under your circumstances a kennel is a good idea Zac.  

Will you be providing the dog with a secure run or is the garden totally secure against escaping dogs or dog stealing burglars  :?:

Not voted though as your options don't really fit in with my answer  :roll:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Kennel designs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 17:46 »
I've never had a dog in a kennel, except when OH first moved in, and he didn't like the amount of hairs our cross pooch lost, so he made him live in the shed.  Dog was dead in 3 months.  OH took him to vet and said he had leukaemia, but I think poor old kruger died of a broken heart!!!!  Nasty OH!

But I'd give Jack as much room as you can, sheltered from the rain, but with part of the kennel or run very well sheltered and cosy, because if he's like our Penny, he'll tuck himself up into a tight little ball when he wants to go to sleep.

crowndale

Kennel designs
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 20:56 »
I wouldn't trust our puppy in the garden without at least occasional supervision (every 5-10 mins) because he chews everything in sight not to mention digs so I'd have no garden left.  The garden is secure from a puppy point of view but not from a theft point of view and I'd not leave him there for that reason too.  But I'd happily have a kennel for him to use during the day when I am out and about in the garden because he doesn't like to lie in the sun for very long.  When I go out he goes in his cage in the lounge out of the sun and nice and cool, but he is never there for more than 3 hours duirng the day and that is rare.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Kennel designs
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 21:24 »
we have 2 whippets who go in cages when we go out, but are like crowndales never left for more than 3 hours. we couldnt leave them in a kennel in the garden as they would probably get pinched .but we couldnt leave them loose in the house either as theyd wreck the place :?

yorkshirerose

Kennel designs
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 11:19 »
We have 8 dogs out in kennels with runs and all are happy and content.
A lurcher x jack russell in the house as pet/house guard dog.
It would not be possible to have those 8 dogs in the house as they would fight - well some of them - the rottie and patterdale would kill the labs and spaniels :shock: .
Our lot (8) are kenneled all day/night, they are let out and trained at least a few times every day - having a lovely big field at side of our house, they are let out to have a run/sniff/play whist being mucked out. Some seperately of course (rottie and terrier).
Visitors to our home who have seen our dogs have stated on how happy they all are - especially being in kennels.
I hate to see dogs stressed in any kennels -so ours are let out as often as possible during the day - which is very often as I dont work - apart from round the house and animals :wink:  :wink:  Something I love. :D
Live every day as your last - enjoy life and smile.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Kennel designs
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 15:34 »
thanks for the replies guys, a very interesting mix!

after digesting the notes you have put, i see that occasional, daytime use would be generally considered ok, with the following proviso's -

1. secure, wind free shelter
2. free access to open area
3. direct access to clean drinking water
4. good variety of toys, 'kongs' (toys designed to contain treats for which the dog must think and work) and a variety of other things of interest to a dog.
5. High standard of general security

when unattended, the dog would have to be secured. A suitable, non-restrictive system of securing the dog would be needed to ensure he could access the whole area without restraint or any risk. Including of course being able to fully access the kennel itself.

xx
dog kennel chicken conversion!!

Started by titch on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 14:09
by titch
xx
Wormery designs

Started by min200 on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2011, 17:40
by EddieJ
xx
Unusual greenhouse designs

Started by B_and_D on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 20:02
by N.WalesIdealist
xx
Home made polytunnel designs please.

Started by min200 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 19:48
by min200

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 39 queries.