Homemade Pizza

• 12 Replies

Elcie

Homemade Pizza
« on: August 07, 2009, 19:42 »
Hi everyone, made some pizza tonight with a packet mix base, a tin of tomatoes, cheese and various meaty and vegetable toppings.  Has gone down really well and wondered if any of you had any advice/receipes for home made pizza?  Would be great if I could make the base and the sauce from scratch too so any ideas on these, along with topping suggestions would be much appreciated by me and 'the boys' (son and OH!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Homemade Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 20:10 »
Some recipes on site
link here

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 20:15 »
If you're very, very good I'll let you see my Jamie Oliver "Italy" book next week. :D
Cheese makes everything better.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 21:45 »
I make my pizzas using a scone base dough, which I then brush lightly with oil before putting my tomatoe sauce and toppings on. It gives you a deep fluffy base  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 21:54 »
If you're very, very good I'll let you see my Jamie Oliver "Italy" book next week. :D

I will be good then!  :)  By the way, Monday is looking best for me, just let me know time/place.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 22:12 »
my own made pizza bases never turn out right.  Is it just an ordinary scone base dough Joy?  May try that, as Brian likes his pizza deep based.

Sauces, I just start with a tin of tomatoes, or fresh ones if I've got them and add stuff as I go along.

When I made the passata last year, that was really nice as it was very thick, mind you, took about 7 hours to make, but I made it on the woodburner in the winter to save electricity!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 22:20 »
Basic tomato sauce base.

Fry a little garlic in some olive oil.  Add a tin of chopped tomatoes, preferably Napoli.  Add a pinch of sugar and s&p.  Simmer gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes.  I like to add a tiny amount of red wine vinegar to the sauce at the beginning of simmering.

Use a pizza stone or a teracotta tile, pre seasoned to cook the pizza on.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 07:32 »
Yes grannie I make just an ordinary scone base then roll and shape it. Don't forget to brush it with olive oe cooking oil before you put the sauce on. For my sauce all I do is simmer a tin of chopped tomatoes (t*sc*s cheapest) with a good squirt of tom puree, then simmer till it's nice and thickish  :D

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 23:10 »
my own made pizza bases never turn out right.  Is it just an ordinary scone base dough Joy?  May try that, as Brian likes his pizza deep based.

Sauces, I just start with a tin of tomatoes, or fresh ones if I've got them and add stuff as I go along.

When I made the passata last year, that was really nice as it was very thick, mind you, took about 7 hours to make, but I made it on the woodburner in the winter to save electricity!

I just use an ordinary bread recipe, do you have a breadmaker Grannie? The dough setting makes a good base. If no breadmaker just mix well in advance and let it rise slowly.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 23:13 »
Thanks Joy!

Hi Carol, no I gave my breadmaker away.  I don't make as much bread as I used to either what with trying to lose weight and looking after all the chickens!!   :D

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 23:14 »
Yes, the smell of fresh bread makes me gain weight and I'm not supposed to eat wheat ::)

Elcie

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 19:43 »
I have a breadmaker that I was lucky to get on Freecycle.  I will use that next time and my son got fed up with the kneading after a while!

Thanks for all the tips / hints.  I now know why my pizza was a bit sloppy - just tipped the tin of tomatoes on the base!

Why do you put olive oil on the base first?  Is it to stop the tomato soaking in?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 19:44 »
Yup!

xx
Building a better pizza.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2013, 22:05
by Lardman
xx
pizza bases

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

42 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 19:00
by chrissie B
xx
Pizza Stones

Started by Yabba on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

30 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 22:44
by Ice
xx
Pizza base recipe

Started by Mum2mj on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 23:22
by timdunn

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.