for blackspot

• 17 Replies

Trillium

for blackspot
« on: March 11, 2007, 16:09 »
I don't get blackspot problems here much since we don't get the rain Uk'rs do, but here's a remedy that others swear by.

To 4 litres of water, add  1/2 tsp (2ml) mild dish soap or insectidical soap and 4 tsp (20ml) baking soda. Shake, apply weekly during growing season.

Ann

for blackspot
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 22:29 »
I get a lot of blackspot will definately try this and let you know how I get on with the remedy

muntjac

for blackspot
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 23:45 »
another one i use is fairy liquid 6to 1 in water  :D may not kill the black fly but they sure scrub up nice  :wink:
still alive /............

Trillium

for blackspot
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 15:29 »
If you've got the black fly, Munty, then get those marigolds at that spot. The smell attracts the hoverflies which then lay eggs among the blackflies so emerging larvae eat the blackflies. I've no idea what fairy liquid is.

Ann

for blackspot
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 19:03 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
I've no idea what fairy liquid is.

It is washing up liquid.

I have bought marigold seeds this year to plant near the strawberries as they were covered in black fly last year.

Trillium

for blackspot
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 21:04 »
Thanks for the info, Ann. Try to get the older, stinkier non hybrid marigold type which are far more effective. Personally I don't mind the smell, not after years of helping clean up dog, cat and baby poo.  :lol:

noshed

for blackspot
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 22:05 »
Fairy liquid is what you wear your marigolds to keep your hands nice from. Simple
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

frazzy

for blackspot
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 14:58 »
another good method for roses cucumbers and any thing that gets a mildew or blackspot is a 10%  milk and water solution on the foliage of the plants and yes it dose work very effectively actually.Milk works because it  contains vitamins, protein, carbohydrates and minerals. That  feeds the beneficial bacteria which protect the plant from disease. you could on the other hand use baking soda which kills the fungi but it kills the good and the bad ones.
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

Trillium

for blackspot
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 15:34 »
Quite frankly, Frazzy, I can't imagine any good fungi attacking roses  :?

frazzy

for blackspot
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 17:10 »
:shock:  :shock: fungas then lol   IDENTIFICATION
Black spot is caused by a fungus. It starts with circular, feathery black spots which first develop on the upper surface of leaves. These spots are frequently surrounded by a yellow halo. All infected leaves will turn yellow and fall prematurely. Purple-red lesions may also develop on first-year canes.

Trillium

for blackspot
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 19:57 »
:lol:  Think you missed my point about the good fungus attacking roses, Frazzy  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks anyway, but I do know what blackspot is, just not what you're calling good fungus attacking it  :wink:

frazzy

for blackspot
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 20:06 »
DOH  :lol: lol try the milk solution though it really dose work.

Annie

for blackspot
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 22:54 »
Bit confused,are we talking about prevention or cure?The roses here had rust and black spot,the rust is now gone but the blackspot not at all.I remove all the dropped old leaves but given that it can be spread by water splash and that weare having v.wet springsas the new leaves are forming howdoessprayingeven more help.I use fairy and waterforblack fly and milk/water mix for mildew,but have not heard of these for blackspot..

frazzy

for blackspot
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 23:13 »
google it, seriously i,ve tried it on my cucumbers and roses i was scepticle too but it works.

muntjac

for blackspot
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 23:35 »
so if i use glycerine on my roses as well as the milk does that make hybrid tea?

xx
Blackspot

Started by chutneymaster on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post September 22, 2007, 21:13
by gobs
xx
Roses and blackspot - drastic action required?

Started by boogaloo on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 09, 2013, 22:41
by boogaloo

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 35 queries.