Problem with B&Q Verve Grobags?

• 7 Replies

Stewarty

Problem with B&Q Verve Grobags?
« on: June 18, 2018, 23:35 »
I have 2 greenhouses on one of my allotments, with a total of 12-14 grobags altogether, growing various varieties of tomato, aubergine, cucumber and pepper. I've been wondering about the extreme difference in vitality of the plants across the greenhouses, and it's finally dawned on me that all the vigorous tomatoes and aubergines are in the Notcutts grobags, and all the puny peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and aubegines are in B&Q Verve grobags.  So now I'm wondering whether there's something in the Verve bags that shouldn't be there, or alternatively something missing....?
Is anybody else experiencing similar problems? I'd love to hear, and appreciate advice. I've not yet used a fertiliser in the watering, and am contemplating adding liquid tomato feed, to see if that helps....?

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: Problem with B&Q Verve Grobags?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:13 »
To my mind, you have a side by side comparison there; the B&Q ones don't appear to be much cop. If the Notcutt ones are working for you, I'd stick with those in future. ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 08:37 »
Even the reviews on the Been & Queued site aren't good, and now you agree with them  ;)
https://www.diy.com/departments/verve-grow-bag-50l/258004_BQ.prd

Generally nowadays, most composts and Growbags only supply enough fertiliser for 4-6 weeks growth, although some are better than others as you've found, after that you have to feed the plants regularly. Seems like you'll need to feed the Verve ones regularly, from now on to get any crops this year.
Was the difference in price between the 2 types worth buying an extra bottle of tomato food for Verve ones - or will you stick with the ones from Notcutts?

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 17:36 »
Seems like I had a lucky escape. I normally use Verve growbags  emptied into  pots for my tomatoes but had lots of Wickes multipurpose around so used that instead.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 18:27 »
No complaints from me with B&Q Verve big bags. I always raise everything in that particular compost and everything does well.

Stewarty

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 11:35 »
I bought the cheaper Verve grow bags (I've changed my spelling there) because I was concerned about how the cost of the more expensive Notcutts ones was mounting up. I have long used, and still am this year, the large B&Q 'bales' of compressed multi-purpose compost, and find these to be excellent  -  just a bit hefty to heave about!
Between my 2 greenhouses I tend to use about 14 grow bags a year. So maybe I'll have to find a different way to grow things in greenhouses, or else be prepared to stump up the cash for more expensive growbags...

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 14:43 »
If you think about it, it's worth paying the extra price for a good compost because you'll get good germination and a strong growth rather than going cheap, getting failures or weak growth and having to spend time re-sowing. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

oldgrunge

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 20:15 »
Have used B&Q mp compost for years, no complaints. With grow bags, I 've used all sorts from Livingston to Aldi, not noticed much difference. Mind you, I only use a couple of grow bags a year.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

xx
B & Q Verve MPC

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 15:39
by Dave NE
xx
Verve Compost

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 11:44
by surbie100
xx
Any Comments On B&Q Verve Compost?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 18:13
by steved
xx
more verve mpc opinions for this year, sorry.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 17:48
by JaniceB

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.