The June drop is a June avalanche...

• 11 Replies

Growster...

The June drop is a June avalanche...
« on: June 15, 2018, 18:12 »
Hmmmmm...

Both Lord Lambourne trees are shedding their crown apples and also their chums!

They're 30 years old and have been pruned to small, tight  shape every year, but this year, they really are struggling.

Last year they had so much brown rot, that we had a few pounds but not much more, so is this the end of George and Mildred?

...sigh...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 18:13 by Growster... »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: The June drop is a June avalanche...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 20:35 »
I think it is only because we've had so very little rain, lately, I bet they'll be ok next year.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 23:24 »
We too have had hardly any rain for a while now but neither of our cookers - 1 at home (in a poorly way for a few years now) and 1 prolific in sturdy health at the allotment, have dropped so much as a single apple this year. All very odd.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 10:09 »
Our two have only started the June drop in the last couple of days .... a good fortnight behind the usual schedule.  Part of the odd year I suppose ...   :unsure:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 11:00 »
Ours is well behind schedule, except for the pear trees, which relinquished almost all their fruit  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2018, 12:27 »
My apples haven't dropped yet, which is surprising given the high winds we are experiencing, but I think they are slow and not quite big enough.
Aahhhh, George and Mildred - that's really sweet.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 12:29 »
Mine have been throwing off fruit like it's going out of fashion (with the exception of Kidds Orange Red).  Im putting it down to the dry weather too. I imagine turning the hose on and letting it run for an hour or so then a good mulch with some well rotted muck would do wonders for next years crop Growster but I doubt there's much that can be done for this year.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 12:30 »
Thanks all!

It has been very dry here as well, but so far, the new four-year-old pears are hanging in there, with one better than the other (Daphne and Dennis respectively)...

It's probably too late to water copiously, so we'll keep an eye on them for next year. George has a lot of bark problems, so that may be another reason!

If the worst comes to the worst, what is the time span to get a patio version going with enough fruit for two old fogies?

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 13:18 »
If the worst comes to the worst, what is the time span to get a patio version going with enough fruit for two old fogies?

I wouldn't go that way unless you're not a big apple fan - at best you're likely to get just a taster of a crop on something like M27 which you'll then have to share with pests.

If you've worried about them grab yourself replacements this winter on M9  (better still and easier to find M26) which will give you 2 or 4 times the crop and you should see fruit in it's second leaf (2020) as a bonus it will be far less troublesome to keep then M27's.

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 19:56 »
Ours is well behind schedule, except for the pear trees, which relinquished almost all their fruit  :(

My tree at home has done the same.  There was me thinking that we were going to get a reasonable crop when, a couple of mornings later, I went outside to find an almost perfect circle of aborted fruitlets on the grass under the pear tree.  Oh, well, maybe next year.  In all honesty it had such a massive crop last year that it probably needs and deserves a rest.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 20:07 »

I wouldn't go that way unless you're not a big apple fan - at best you're likely to get just a taster of a crop on something like M27 which you'll then have to share with pests.

Thanks, Lards.

We're wondering of it'll be really worth starting again, and like Mum says, they may well recupertate next year!

If you've worried about them grab yourself replacements this winter on M9  (better still and easier to find M26) which will give you 2 or 4 times the crop and you should see fruit in it's second leaf (2020) as a bonus it will be far less troublesome to keep then M27's.

George is an M27, and I straightened him many years ago, so perhaps he's getting his own back... (Geddit - straightened - oh forget it)!

Mildred is a larger tree, and for years was a bit silly, then started out struttin' her stuff about three years ago!

Sigh - we'll wait and all agree what to do when the three or four apples appear on October..:0(

Luckily, living in Kent, we can buy fabulous apples when they start, but G and M are our own chums, and deserve all the attention they can get!

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 20:08 »
Jaydig, I think (hope) that you're right! Mum thinks so, and as she is the fount of all knowledge, we have a couple of years before we look again at our two chums!

xx
June '08

Started by The Thin Blue Line on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2008, 18:37
by johnathome
xx
what can I plant in June?

Started by chrissiethechippy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 31, 2007, 20:52
by WG.
xx
mid-June planting?

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 06:42
by Earl Grey
xx
June Forecast

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 04:15
by maxibo

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 37 queries.