Honey fungus help

• 5 Replies

Flowertot

Honey fungus help
« on: October 17, 2017, 23:34 »
We have been in our house for 3 years and have had a few things die suddenly - a rose or two, a lilac, a plum, a tree peony - all in the same part of the garden. I recently sent a sample from the dead lilac to the RHS and they have confirmed that we have honey fungus  :(. We can’t realistically remove all the soil in the border (and it may come back even if we could) so I’m thinking perhaps we’ll just have to work with it rather than against it. However the RHS list of the most affected plants is rather unwieldy and rather in the abstract.  Has anyone experience of growing shrubs or herbaceous perennials that do ok? All suggestions desperately appreciated!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Honey fungus help
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:30 »
Oh what rotten news.

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but what occurs to me is how you minimise the risk of it spreading to the rest of the garden. I don't know how it travels, but if it can be transferred in soil particles then they can be moved around the garden on tools, boots etc.

If that is the case, is it worth considering doing something different in the area such as lawn (if that's unaffected by honey fungus) or gravel & pots?

Hopefully someone else can comment on the likelihood of this risk actually arising?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 10:52 »
This list might be easier to understand as regards woody plants like trees and shrubs, as it lists the ones that are resistant.  Bluebell are a well respected nursery who know their stuff, so I reckon you can trust them.

http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogue/TAGS/%22Honey%20Fungus%20Resistant%22/trees

Herbaceous perennials are more tricky.  Some can act as host plants, but not many are killed by it.  Once you know it is in the garden, anything that dies gets attributed to it so people think it kills a lot more stuff than it does.

In my mum's old house, it was in the privet hedge that ran the entire length of the garden.  It got a lilac and a crab apple tree, but she had loads of other shrubs and perennials growing right along side that were fine.  Basically, what I am saying is that it is not a death sentence to everything in the garden, so don't panic.  Sort out the woody stuff and choose the resistant types, then plant the herbaceous stuff you like  :)

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 18:09 »
Thanks for your replies. That list is really user-friendly and helpful, Newshoot. I’m glad there’s some hope as I have to admit I’m feeling pretty miserable about it at the moment.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 20:31 »
hi I worked in a garden that had honey fungus it can be identified by looking under the bark of dead woody plants if a primrose flower sized white patch is seen that's the fungus it also has boot lace type roots which get under the bark it also creeps under ground from plant to plant I dug as much of the bootlaces out then treated the ground with armillatox (don't know if still available) at recommended mix at 5 gallon per square yard  the garden was then replanted with peonies flocks golden philadelphus cystus allium griffithii  honey fungus does not kill couch grass or ground elder unfortunately    jezza

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 08:00 »
Armatillox is still available, but its now rebranded as a soap based outdoor cleaner.  It isn't licensed as a fungicide. 

xx
Honey Fungus

Started by stickywicket on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:42
by viettaclark
xx
preventing honey fungus

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 18:34
by bendipa
xx
Fungus

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 05:58
by SherryWright
xx
Fungus I.D.?

Started by DD. on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 19:33
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 36 queries.