What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #480 on: October 28, 2017, 20:56 »
Cleared the last couple of bean wigwams and then dug and filled 2 trenches in my squash, sweetcorn and bean area.  It was green waste and kitchen peelings that will rot fast.

I reckon I have room for 3 more, but ran out of steam for digging and waste for filling.  A job for another day.

rowlandwells

« Reply #481 on: October 29, 2017, 19:56 »
it Sunday clocks turned back and all had a very busy busy day we demolished our garden wall earlier this week and prepared to re build my builder friend drove some metal post's with his JCB n hold some 3 tonnes concreate panels to hold back the soil

so being Sunday and the wall being  on the roadside not much traffic no heavies to worry about we lifted them in with his giant fork lift I was praying every thing went rite  but him up there must have been on our side because we had no problems and we will be getting another 2mts of garden to use

the old wall had been there for over 75 years and we dug loads of good rockery stones when clearing the old wall so rockery that's another job I've been tasked with doing thanks to my wife  :D

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #482 on: November 01, 2017, 21:45 »
dismantled the 8x6 love shack, hauled it over to the new plot, backs broke now...won`t be any lovin` tonite.
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #483 on: November 02, 2017, 14:53 »
Had a great day. Emptied and spread a very full 4ft x 4ft x 4ft compost bin. Dug up all bolted leeks and started new compost heap with them. Harvested half a dozen good (not bolted) leeks, a couple of parsnips and three decent celeriacs. Put the fuchsias into greenhouse for the winter and emptied tubs of begonias and other bedding plants. Planted a few wallflowers and dug out some creeping buttercups, nettles and dandelions. Just enjoying a quiet cuppa before putting all the tools away until tomorrow

Aled

« Reply #484 on: November 03, 2017, 14:17 »
Put some ash, and home brew compost on the plot, plus dug over, and covered with cardboard.
Cheers
Aled

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: November 08, 2017, 21:12 »
Sat with a cuppa this morning waiting for the frost to thaw then filled topped up my raised beds with half a ton of Greengrow from the local tip.

Dug up my snips as they were in the spot where I start building my polytunnel next week. Really pleassed with my haul, a couple of monsters in there  :D

*Edit* Accidently uploaded a picture of the boy enjoying his hot chocolate ;) Fixed.
S5000252.JPG
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 21:14 by Plot 1 Problems »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2017, 15:25 »
Relaid a few of the loose edging slabs round my pond, and repointed some of the others (had to stop because it started to rain and I had to dash to the shed to get a couple of old compost bags to stop the elements undoing my handiwork.  :wacko:)

Picked a few more Florence Fennel 'bulbs' as they're showing signs of succumbing to the cold (inverted commas partly because they're not of course bulbs, but mainly because I sowed them a bit too late - at least they're nice and tender!  :tongue2:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

wneva

« Reply #487 on: November 10, 2017, 17:59 »
I got a load of manure last week - very rotted horse dung.  Today I removed the weed control fabric from Bed 2 and spread manure over the soil.  Then I re-covered it - it's fabric not just a sheet of plastic.   I'm planning to do this right across the plot - weather permitting.

I still have a few cabbages in, and the parsnips.  And some leeks that are growing nicely, though rather slowly!  They went in on 1 July, my lottie diary tells me.

Mr Dog

« Reply #488 on: November 11, 2017, 15:25 »
Harvested the last few ripe, semi-ripe and green tomatoes from greenhouse No 3 and then took out the plants and manured the borders. Always a sad day for me when the toms are done  :( Still a few chillies and peppers going in greenhouse No 2 and I was pleasantly surprised to find a cucumber lurking in the rafters of greenhouse No 1. Not sure how it's survived as the plants came out a couple of weeks ago! Bit of an odd shape but hopefully it will taste OK.
IMG_20171111_152028193_HDR.jpg

Aled

« Reply #489 on: November 13, 2017, 12:24 »
I need to do a good veg patch dig and empty the compost bin completely!
Cheers
Aled

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #490 on: November 13, 2017, 18:17 »
It was a sunny but chilly day, did some hoeing and weeding,  put the number up on our gate, saw a bumble bee, a wasp and a butterfly! Oca has been frosted slightly, will be able to harvest in a few weeks.

peter and jean

« Reply #491 on: November 13, 2017, 18:38 »
I dug a bed ready for next year. I took the easy (lazy) option and just turned it over leaving the soil in huge chunks hoping the frost would kill the weeds. I suspect it won't so now I've just made it worse.😢😢
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 20:29 by peter and jean »

snowdrops

« Reply #492 on: November 13, 2017, 19:00 »
Gave the sheds their second coat of the second colour of paint, now just to touch up where I blobbed on the first colour, very smart they look, need the guttering putting back up & replace the water barrels
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aled

« Reply #493 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54 »
Got a few bonus carts last night, patch still producing a bit.
Cheers
Aled

snowdrops

« Reply #494 on: November 14, 2017, 22:26 »
Had a huge bonfire & in just over 3 hours burnt most of the old shed & the huge pile  of weeds which. Had decided to compost on their own,but the fire was hot they were soon gone, had a good tidy round, stacked & covered the rest of the wood for another bonfire. Replaced the water barrels at the ends of the sheds now the painting is about done, having repositioned the bricks & slabs they are raised on. Had  a lovely bowl of soup for lunch, butternut squash & chorizo,just right for a bonfire day 😊

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 51 queries.