Birdwatch 2017

• 38 Replies

blackberryjam

Re: Birdwatch 2017
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 19:19 »
There were a pair of red kites circling the plot today.  That's quite common and they are always interested if you are digging or moving compost.  I get used to looking up and having a beady eye looking back down at me.

They got very interested when I got the bucket of chicken manure pellets out and took the lid off to chuck some on the overwintering beans, garlic and onions.  I didn't hear it coming but one swooped down almost right next to me to take a closer look.  I only realised as it flapped to get more height.  I could have reached out and touched its wingtip  :ohmy:

It made me jump at the time, but what an amazing close up look at a beautiful bird.  A very, very big bird with scary claws and beak, but beautiful none the less  :

They are beautiful I love hearing them call to one another, they circle our allotments too waiting for someone to disturb a mouse or two.

Mum2mj

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 19:13 »
First time posting on this board - I saw a kestrel hovering at the plot this week. Not seen one here before.
I also have a friendly robin at home that regularly eats from mine and my daughters hands - it's not brave enough to eat from my 2yr olds yet but it's come very close! 😊

RubyR3d

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2017, 20:29 »
   Hearing the resident blackbirds kicking off I looked through the utility window with my binoculars and saw a sparrowhawk sitting on a garden bird bath plucking at a young bird between its feet. The brave blackbird pestered it so much it flew away.  :( :unsure:

madcat

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 10:28 »
I had similar yesterday.  The starlings were feeding on the field next to the house and suddenly they went up in a squawking swirling mass.  Flying low down the field with something in his talons - probably a starling - was the male sparrowhawk.  A starling is quite a big take for a male, so no wonder he was struggling to get any height.  Nice to think that they have young that they must be feeding   :) , but so would the starling.   :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aled

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 09:20 »
We've got 2 families of starlings nesting at either side of the house eves!
Cheers
Aled

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 16:39 »
Watched our local kestrel catch a vole today at the plot. She flew off with it in her talons so guessing she has young now, as usually she sits in a nearby tree to eat her lunch.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aled

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 09:48 »
Woodpecker knocking flat out on a tree outside our kitchen window this morning.
Cheers
Aled

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 16:32 »
Didn't see but heard a cuckoo in North Wales when there at the weekend.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27 »
I need a bird ASBO  :ohmy:  We have a newly fledged robin who has taken up residence in the garden with teenage attitude in spades.

He followed me round this morning while I watered my pots, fixing me with a beady stare the whole way.  When I went to get the food, he barely waited for me to put it down before diving in.  Now he's chasing off everyone else from getting a look in.  The wood pigeon has just flown off looking totally confused at the tiny terror attacking him  :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 14:42 »
I'm   pretty sure we've got a solitary waxwing. The call is an unmistakeable "trimphone" ring tone. Maybe his mates all left for the North and he was left behind? Haven't managed to spot him yet but he seems to be hanging around singing with the blackbirds!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 14:56 »
Saw a kingfisher flash past at the plot this morning ...fabulous colour!

Goosegirl

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2017, 14:53 »
Trying to identify birds by their song but think we've had a song thrush around this last few days.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 20:57 »
We have finally moved out of our city tenement with a postage stamp garden into a half acre rural site in the middle of pasture and mature woodland and the difference in the number and type of birds is amazing!

When we were in the city, it pretty much stopped at the usual sparrows, blue and great tits, blackbirds, seasonal starlings, robins and of course wood pigeon. Crows, magpies and jackdaws raided the bins and feeders. We got the swifts in the summer and the occasional small birds such as wren and dunnock but here in the country there is so much more.

We have already spotted most of the above along with pied wagtail and great spotted woodpecker. We traded the swifts for house martins or swallows (can't tell which yet) and have added rooks to the corvids (we are apparently in the area of one of the local rook super-flocks where several hundred birds gather in the evenings so that will be worth a picture or two). Scotland has recently got Nuthatch and we have several pairs (minus the one which challenged my window yesterday and lost). I have only seen buzzards perched on posts or circling for rabbits but apparently there are more small raptors around. We have quite a few bullfinch which are very colourful and something small (sparrow-sized) and drab which hovers clumsily just over the long grass till it spots a bug then plunges down out of sight. No idea what it is because it is small and fast.

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2017, 18:37 »
Swallow throat red .
House martin white rump . :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2017, 15:48 »
We've been inundated by collared doves! Never happened before so don't know what has attracted them here this time.

xx
What's for tea? 2017

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

994 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 22:00
by madcat
xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2017)

Started by Paul Plots on Chatting on the Plot

540 Replies
Last post December 29, 2017, 12:44
by JayG
xx
End of year awards 2017

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 11:08
by rowlandwells
xx
Fishing Season 2017

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

130 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 22:03
by Offwego

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 51 queries.