By-Laws against Chickens??

• 19 Replies

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 22:11 »
it states on my deeds the same....domestic animals only ie dogs cats birds.....well..chickens is birds aint they!??? however i did e-mail my council and check, and so long as i am not selling the eggs....(they dont lay any yet they babies)..and i dont keep cockrels....(well....only for a little while...honest....) then i am ok to have the chooks.... they also wanted to know what/how/where i would be housing them.... so i told them that i would be converting a pre-existing dog kennel and so was told thats fine go ahead.

matilda duck

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 22:25 »
What classifies as domestic? If I house train them does that count??? Now this I would really like to see :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I'm due for a good laugh :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

paullewis

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 20:45 »
Quote from: "matilda duck"
Now this I would really like to see :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  I'm due for a good laugh :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oh dear, have I just built my self up for the biggest challenge ever faced :oops:  :oops:

I'll let you know how it goes :tongue2:

smiler43

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 21:11 »
Hi paullewis.  I checked with my council and they weren't interested just said check your deeds.  Checked those and there is a covenant thing in it stating no poultry to be kept on the land (although this was written a very long time ago, that old we couldn't understand some of it!).  
We are leasehold so I wrote to the land owner to ask her permission, she came right back and said of course not a problem, enjoy :o)  We also told the neighbours next doors and they were only concerned if we were having a cockerel, which we weren't.  One neighbour also has eggs from me :o)  I have 3 lovely girls.

I'd say just check and cover every angle just to be sure, oh and obviously keep them clean so no one can complain.

VM

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 19:34 »
I think it's probably pretty common to have by-laws saying you can't keep a cockerel in towns and cities. Here in Manchester you can't keep a cockerel at all, either on allotments or in gardens. Neighbours of ours used to - but if anyone complains you  have to get rid of it. The general position with chickens, apart from cockerels, is that you can keep them on allotments, but individual sites have their own rules about it as well.

Be careful about food and anything which might attract rats. It would be reasonable for neighbours or the council to be unhappy if there were an increase in rats because of chicken food etc.

xx
Local bye laws and legalities of keeping chickens at home

Started by Planner on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 00:41
by babe
xx
Chicken Laws

Started by bluelou on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 21:00
by josh5357
xx
Council by-laws

Started by PJM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 14, 2007, 09:10
by babe
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 38 queries.