Potatoes - good crop but major slug damage

• 23 Replies

al78

Potatoes - good crop but major slug damage
« on: August 25, 2014, 00:50 »
I have dug all my Cara potatoes and ended up with a large crop overall with many huge potatoes however I would estimate 90+% of the crop had been holed by keel slugs. I did leave them outside for a while after harvest but can I still get away with storing these for any length of time? I can't possibly eat three full sacks of potatoes myself any time soon. Can anyone recommend a maincrop potato variety that is both blight and slug resistant, and ideally matures late August onwards.

fatbelly

Re: Potatoes - good crop but major slug damage
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:22 »
I had the same problem with Kestral & Cara slugs a few years ago. A fantastic crop ruined by slug damage.

I then moved to Desiree and the slug damage is been reduced to around 15%. I have also tried Maris Piper and again they were totally decimated by slugs, for me only the Desiree have been slug resistant.

But they are a early main so if I plant around late March they are ready late July.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Steveharford

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:23 »
My king edwards had no slug damage but I dont know if they are naturally resistant

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:15 »
Not on my plot, they're not  :D
Only lost 10% though, so far.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:18 »
I don't think the slugged ones will store, they tend to rot very quickly  :(

The best you can do is remove all the grotty bits and cook and freeze them.

I've grown Kestrel and Desiree this year, with very little slug damage.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 09:19 »
Gave up with Cara because although the crop was great, the slug damage made a lot of them unusable. Tried Picasso this year, which I think has Cara as one of the 'parents', and the spuds are huge, with some slug damage, but not as bad as Cara.

I agree that Desiree seems to be pretty much slug resistant. Only one or two tubers affected.

dugless

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:27 »
I don't grow main crop for that reason only earlies and second earlies they are out the ground before the slugs and blight get going.
A farmer near me sells Picasso at £5 a 56lb bag so it is not worth the bother of Main crop.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

al78

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17 »
I don't grow main crop for that reason only earlies and second earlies they are out the ground before the slugs and blight get going.
A farmer near me sells Picasso at £5 a 56lb bag so it is not worth the bother of Main crop.

Yes I can understand that. I am trying to grow as much of my food as possible, which means growing at least some things which can be stored over winter, which means growing maincrop spuds.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 11:22 »
I've grown Desiree for years and never had a problem till this year. Dug up half a row on Friday and got 10 usable spuds. A very large number of slugs did not survive.
Found a slightly different pest yesterday when I spotted movement on my wild flower patch. 5 field mice so now I know what the nibble marks are from. They are now in a field some distance away.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 12:03 »

Yes I can understand that. I am trying to grow as much of my food as possible, which means growing at least some things which can be stored over winter, which means growing maincrop spuds.

I stored kestrel (second earlies) over the winter with no problem last year and I intend to do the same this year. They last us until about feb/March normally

dugless

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 15:19 »

I stored kestrel (second earlies) over the winter with no problem last year and I intend to do the same this year. They last us until about feb/March normally

I have grown Kestrel for the last 5 years always a good crop stores well make good chips, roasters,   drawbacks are they sometime get a blemish right in the middle and sometimes they go to water when boiled but that is due to the weather.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 18:29 »
This is not an answer to your question about a maincrop that is slug resistant al78, but an idea, if it suits your style of growing:

I add slug bait under each seed potato, plus a few more when I earth up the first time. This seems to keep the general population of slugs down, and greatly reduce the damage.

This year I grew Kestrels with little damage, and for maincrops mostly Ambo. These grow large, and were virtually free of slug damage (issues with rats but that is another story  :lol: )

Hope that helps a little bit.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

al78

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:34 »
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 10:05 »
My approach to the present crop would be to sort out the worst affected to be used first and store the rest as usual. If you find a few rotting you can turn out the bags and sort them through again.

I have found that if I leave potatoes in the ground beyond now the slugs move in. My approach has been to grow second earlies or early mains that are bulked up by the end of July and lift them by about the middle of August. As long as they are dry when they go into store there is no problem with keeping through the Winter. It is important that the skins are set before you lift or they will bruise and the skins will rub when they are lifted. To ensure this either the tops must have died back naturally or the tops must have been removed 2 weeks before lifting. The latter has usually happened anyway as a blight precaution.

This year charlotte and Nicola have not a hole to be seen. Least damage ever.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 16:07 »
You could have a look at JBA seed potato list for slug resistant spuds.  I noticed Cara is on the list but I've had slug damage in the past but have found the red skinned varieties such as Desiree, Romano and Rooster to be a little better.  Like a lot of others, I don't grow main crop potatoes now simply because of the late maturing aspect - too many things go wrong, usually weather related which allow pests and diseases to move in.  Also, bear in mind that supermarket potatoes tend to be treated to prevent sprouting whereas home stored start earlier than you think - the second early crops seem to last well into winter, and even if they get a little wrinkled, are still cookable (some make great chips)

xx
Preventing slug damage to potatoes

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2009, 14:39
by hillbilly
xx
Factors involving Potatoes and Slug damage

Started by GreenOwl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 16:55
by GreenOwl
xx
potatoes are you getting a good crop?

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 14:05
by ptarmigan
xx
Potatoes have been dug up- good crop

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 04, 2007, 20:25
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 37 queries.