Onions from seed - 2014

• 353 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Onions from seed - 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 16:43 »
DD was putting his seeds on the bedside table as it was all the better for keeping a close eye on them   ::)
For anyone not planning to mount a vigil over their onion seeds, anywhere warm will do until they show themselves   ;)

I, for instance, have been far more restrained and put mine on the dining room windowsill  :lol:

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 16:52 »
Windowsills are no good in my house as I have cats! ::)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 17:47 »
I think you're mis-reading it.

You've got some experience, Gavin and know what to do with early sowings. I wouldn't encourage newcomers to growing to take this much on so early. As with most things, you need to walk before you can run.

Ok DD i see where you are coming from  :D Yes I do agree it does take some getting used to and keeping them going in the cool is important.. I believe it would be better to start them in Feb
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 18:19 »

Obviously not well trained. I've got 5 and manage!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 18:22 »

You've got some experience, Gavin and know what to do with early sowings. I wouldn't encourage newcomers to growing to take this much on so early. As with most things, you need to walk before you can run.

Ok DD i see where you are coming from  :D Yes I do agree it does take some getting used to and keeping them going in the cool is important.. I believe it would be better to start them in Feb

Am I reading and understanding of these two comments clearly and correctly?

If you are a newcomer to the early sowing procedure? Don't bother to sow until at least February. Whereas if you have any experience of the early sowing procedure? Sow as of today (Boxing Day) if you so wish. Confusing or what!

I've no previous experience of the early sowing procedure. I've always planted onion sets. But, today I've sown both Bedfordshire Champion and Bristol F1 onion seeds. Both varieties being started-off within my electric propagator.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 18:25 »
"The Kelsae" seeds duly sown and installed in bedroom.

Why bedroom ??? :unsure:

They're where I'll see them and not forget to check on them and it's warmer than the kitchen window sill.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 18:31 »

If you are a newcomer to the early sowing procedure? Don't bother to sow until at least February. Whereas if you have any experience of the early sowing procedure? Sow as of today (Boxing Day) if you so wish. Confusing or what!

I've no previous experience of the early sowing procedure. I've always planted onion sets. But, today I've sown both Bedfordshire Champion and Bristol F1 onion seeds. Both varieties being started-off within my electric propagator.

No. You are not reading it correctly. I specifically referred to the quantity that Gavin is sowing. Everyone has to start somewhere, but if you're new to growing, I wouldn't advise trying as much at your first attempt.

Plot_29@_Lady_Mary

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 19:02 »
Hmm, I actually sowed Ailsa Craig and Long Red Florence back in October! In November when they were about 6 inches tall, I transplanted them in rows 6" apart, 8" wide outside. They are now growing nicely, about 10" tall. A few did not survive, but as I had spare, I simply transplanted over those. So far they have survived a couple of frost, very wet and windy weather. Fingers crossed. I am hoping to get a harvest in June/July.  On New Year's Day, I will sow another batch of Ailsa Craig and Long Red Florence for August/September harvest. ;)

Mr Dog

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 20:36 »
Going to have a 1st go from seed this year. Modules filled with compost, warming up in the kitchen and a packet of Ailsa Craig at the ready.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 21:00 »

Obviously not well trained. I've got 5 and manage!
They rule the roost in this house!! :D

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 22:07 »

No. You are not reading it correctly. I specifically referred to the quantity that Gavin is sowing. Everyone has to start somewhere, but if you're new to growing, I wouldn't advise trying as much at your first attempt.

So, if the sower is a newcomer of the early sowing procedure; only sow a maximum of what one maybe two varieties of onion seed during late December through to end of January? But of course if the sower is experienced of the early sowing procedure; then sow as many varieties as you so wish as of late December?

I really don't understand why it is necessary to advise a newcomer to the early sowing procedure of how many varieties of onion to sow at an early stage of the growing season? Surely, "trial and error" of an early sowing of four, five, six varieties of onion for a newcomer is a great and positive method of gaining the necessary experience for the product of an abundant onion crop for future seasons.

If the mentor still insists a newcomer of the early sowing procedure should only sow one or maybe two varieties of onion at an early stage of the growing season? It would be interested to note at what point of sowing experience is it advisable to progress and advance to sow at an early sowing stage four, five six varieties of onions?   

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2013, 22:41 »
Give us a break - we're all only trying to help! That's what this thread is for - not to discuss whether you agree with the advice or not!
You can always just say how you do it - but it's not polite to openly disagree with someone.

Of course you can sow what you want, and as much as you want........... but, if you get it wrong because you don't know what to expect, then you've wasted seeds, that's all we're trying to avoid.

Now.............Back on topic please ;)

Nobbie

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 07:47 »
Mine are all now sat in the dormer windows in the loft. Temperature is more like 10-15C, will this be ok? Or should I move them somewhere warmer for starters? Two trays of Rjinburger and three of Karmel in modules with 3 or 4 seeds per module. It's nice to have something on the go already, although I'm sure they'd do equally well from a later sowing.

Good luck everybody ;)

Eblana

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 13:25 »
Mine are all set for tomorrow I have just found some leek seed as well so I will give them a go to. 

bravemurphy

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 15:56 »
I have just done mine.
One tray of Bedfordshire champs and one of F1 Santero.

Going to wait a bit to so the shallots (Zebrune) and (Figaro)

xx
onions from seed 2014

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 13:48
by Dave NE
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy
xx
onions from seed now

Started by steven c on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2021, 14:53
by 8doubles
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 17:42
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 41 queries.