Droppings - The Chicken Keeper's Guide

• 161 Replies

vtoria71

Re: 4. Poo - The Chicken Keeper's Guide
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2014, 02:11 »
 :D Thank you for the poop I have been have this problem with on of my girls and Have lost one id the a natural remedy  for clostridium perfringens??????

Sienna HoneyBun

« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2014, 16:14 »
My hen is leaving strange droppings, and they look NOTHING like any of the pictures shown in this article.

She is an Ameraucana, about 4 months old, not to mention she is to be my show bird sometime soon... I am kind of freaking out! This is my first year taking care of my own show chicken, for we had our Silkie (bantam) rooster long enough to enter in the county fair, and I am not an expert on their health. I'm more of a show expert. :lol:

You see I have only had her for about a month now and I'm still trying to learn more of her breed.

Her poop is clear and watery with little bits of what looks like blood. When I went to clean it up, it was sticky and gross, not like anything else I've cleaned up after her.

Anyway, I just need to know if this is normal, I don't my 4-H leader asking about this and me not knowing how to answer. Plus, she is my pet, and I don't want her getting sick or anything.

Thank you so much! :)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2014, 08:36 »
Is she eating?

Pottage

« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2014, 11:47 »
I've found this thread really helpful since I got my ex barn girls 6 months ago.  We have been struggling with tapeworm after they came to us with it, we are now treating with Panacur 10% and it seems to be working.  Someone passed a full worm this morning rather than the usual tiny segments, I thought this might be useful to you?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2014, 16:58 »
Many thanks Pottage.

I'll be adding that to the poo gallery.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #140 on: December 14, 2014, 10:51 »
great photo, hopefully they will thrive now that you are getting rid of the tapeworm.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Devotedtochicks

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2015, 18:20 »
Hi all,

I think I have something to add to the chicken poo picture page.

One or more of my girls have some worms that I am unable to get rid of. I have searched high and low on the internet and haven't seen any similar pic unfortunately. So if these can be identified it might help others like me who are searching.

I regularly worm all my animals and use the usual Flubenvet for the chickens but it doesn't seem to touch them. I have also treated them for tape worm just in case and also for coccidiosis using Harker's Coxoid.

If anyone has any ideas I would be ever so grateful. I can't see how to post any pics (perhaps because I haven't posted on the forum enough?) but I have one pic and a video. The pic is of little orange eggs and the video is off the little white flat worms moving around. I would be happy to send them somewhere if anyone is happy to help or would like to see for future reference :)

joyfull

« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2015, 07:19 »
hello your photos would be wonderful to post on here, if you click on the Attachments and other options it should allow you to post pictures.
It might be worth having a word with your vets to see if they will prescribe drontal or something similar to help get rid of them if flubenvet isn't working - usually a second course a week later clears them up. you may have to move your birds incase there is a heavy worm egg infestation in the ground

Devotedtochicks

« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2015, 10:06 »
Hi Joyfull,

Thanks so much for replying :)

I haven't thought to use Drontal even though that is what I give to both my cats and dog.

To be honest though my local vets, who are great with regular animals, don't really have a clue when it comes to chickens so I usually only visit them when I need a course of antibiotics or a biopsy. They also don't prescribe anything that isn't licensed specifically licensed for use with chickens - what I wouldn't do to live near a knowledgeable (and reasonably priced) chicken expert vet! :)

I wasn't able to post pictures using my usual Firefox browser but have switched to Safari and seem to now be able to drag images over, so thanks for clarify that I should be able to, hopefully this will work!

These look like eggs to me...

And these are a couple of still from the video showing the worms moving...

Linda Andlinda

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2015, 10:19 »
Hi,

I'm new here, can I post photo's & ask for advice on them here?
I'm presuming I can, just don't know how - if someone could give me some advice i'd really appreciate it.

I was directed to this site in an answer to a post on a facebook group about something in a chicken poo that I'm trying to identify.

Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2015, 11:25 »
Click here
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=3.0

Under the banners, on the right side click the new topic box, then you can ask your question - hope it makes sense from there
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:28 by mumofstig »

CJ01

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2015, 13:39 »
 :) Very informative! I rescue abandoned chicks in the Caribbean and, once grown, release them into my front garden. Unlike many chickens on the island, they never scavenge in the trash and love coming twice a day for their food. I have three babies at the mo. Han Solo, Colonel Sanders and Wendi. overnight, Wendi started to have blood in her poop, is very lethargic and not interested in eating. They live, as they are only a few weeks old, in very controlled environments. Wendi has been eating chicken crumbles and has fresh water too. Col. Sanders (who shares a house with Wendi) seems okay, though a little lethargic. He does want to eat though. Will the Colonel have whatever Wendi has?Wendi is having a cuddle with me at the mo, but I think she's not going to survive. Any help would be appreciated.

joyfull

« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2015, 07:58 »
sorry nobody has replied earlier to this and I hope they have survived. Sadly with young birds and blood in their poo usually signifies coccidiosis. You can buy treatment for this and should always have some o n hand if breeding birds. It is highly contagious and the birds usually only last a day or 2 without treatment. If the feed you are giving them already says it has ACS in it then you need to get feed without when giving them the coccidiosis treatment.

TonyC

« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19 »
Hi
One of my chickens  discretion is a watery content and a strong yellow color that dyes the wood chipping , the birds seem to be eating and drinking ok and don't seem lethargic in anyway, I can send a picture if needed. The poo seems to come out with force as it spreads over a couple of inches as though its been excreted with force.
Thanks
TonyC

Pottage

« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2017, 13:09 »
I posted the tapeworm picture back in 2014 (!), and have just found this when clearing out my Cloud backup that I thought you might also like to add.  It's what the tapeworm segments look like when they are expelled rather than the whole worm, which is quite rare to see.

An update to my original post - it ended up taking us YEARS to fully clear the tapeworm.  I poo picked their run and the garden like a loon to stop the segments getting in the ground, and tried pretty much every wormer known to man under the direction of my vet.  Nothing worked!  Strangely enough, all my birds were implanted with Suprelorin at the same time for egg related issues at the beginning of this year, and the tapeworm seem to have finally gone!   The birds do not seem to be reinfecting themselves, but it's early days yet so I'm still cautious. 

I wonder is the Suprelorin affected the tapeworm in the same way it does mammals and birds, preventing reproduction and the horrible things have just finally given up and died.

xx
Spoilt for Choice - A guide to Chicken Breeds Part 1. Hybrids or Pure Breeds

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 00:33
by Lindeggs
xx
chicken Vs egg

Started by babe on Poultry FAQs and other Information

16 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 14:07
by Yorkie
xx
DIY chicken coop guidance

Started by poultrygeist on Poultry FAQs and other Information

1 Replies
Last post July 12, 2010, 17:45
by ElioraImmanuel
xx
Plucking and Dressing a Chicken for Cooking - with pictures

Started by Bodger on Poultry FAQs and other Information

24 Replies
Last post January 24, 2009, 19:39
by matron

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 55 queries.