Tiny white tubes

• 7 Replies

patsyg323

Tiny white tubes
« on: October 19, 2011, 15:03 »
Hi fellow chicken lovers

My two hybrid chickens are just having their first moult after laying lots of lovely eggs since May 2010.  Their house floor which I cover with newspaper for ease of clearing out is covered in small feathers and lots of tiny white 2-3 mm long white tubes every morning.  I can't see any lice or livestock on the girls so what is this white stuff, please?  I can't find reference to it in my chicken books.

The Bluebelle is still laying 5 eggs a week but my Rhode White keeps laying soft shelled eggs and sometimes drops them overnight from her perch.  They're both eating, drinking and running around well and look fine apart from a bit short of feathers around their necks and the Bluebelle is a bit red underneath her chest.   I'm giving them Nettex Mineral powder in their food and occasionally tonic in their water but they aren't so keen on the tonic.  They have a quick run on grass in the late afternoon and veggie peelings etc.    I've also been giving them some Actimel on some pellets in the afternoon which they seem to like.  I read somewhere it was good for their feathers during the moult.  I'm worried she will get an egg stuck and I've lost a chook like that before.  Very distressing!
What else can I try please? 

Thanks

kegs

Re: Tiny white tubes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 15:40 »
I can't help with your moult queries because I haven't experienced that yet but my Hipswell Sussex has the same problem as your Rhode White and has been laying soft shells since just after her arrival in April this year.  I have tried everything imaginable to help her (vitamins, oil, calcium tablets, limestone flour, tuna) and the only thing that works for her is if I give her a pinch of crushed oyster shell which I pop in a raspberry (she loves these and I can guarantee that she will eat them whole).  She eats two of these every 5 days or so (or when I notice her shells softening) and that seems to keep the shell just hard enough.  It has never been as hard as a normal egg and could still be easily crushed by hand if we wanted to, but it is enough for the other chickens to leave it alone.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 15:44 »
Hi there the tiny tubes are from the new feathers and are nothing to worry about, they pull them off as they preen, sorry I can't help about the soft eggs maybe its to do with the moulting being quite stressfull on them and she will sort herself out ? :)

Helenaj

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 16:27 »
Some hens do have a problem absorbing calcium - it's just one of those things. You can get calcium supplements that dissolve in water and that may help her a little more. I would cut out the treats for now so that she can get more of the pellets into her system (and so increase her calcium intake). It will only be for a little while, just to see if it helps at all.
Have you tried changing your feed? Some feed is better quality than others.

As for the red bit on your Bluebelle's breast - hen skin turns bright red when exposed to sunlight, so if you cannot see any soreness, that's probably what it is.

patsyg323

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 17:06 »
Thanks for the speedy replies, folks.

I'm relieved about the masses of tiny white tubes being the result of new feathers. :D  That explains why the Rhode White despite leaving lots of feathers around the run and under her perch is only really thinning on her neck.  I guess the new feathers are growing really quickly.

Great idea, thanks.  I haven't got any raspberries but have just inserted bits of oyster shell into grape quarters and they went down quickly enough.  Will give her some more everyday late afternoon and hope this does the trick.  No egg soft or otherwise from her today.

I've used Scats layers pellets since I've had the girls from March 2010.  Which brand might be better?  They also get ACV two days a week in their water.

The Bluebelle has the red bit underneath her but it is only visible if you look under her.  Some days seems redder than others.. She is getting some new feathers in the middle bare bit.

They only get veggie peelings (mainly carrot and brocolli) after 5pm on a work day or after 4pm when I'm home.  I feel fresh veg gives them a few more vitamins and something different to scratch around for.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!  Much appreciated.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 00:22 »
It sounds like you've received good advice on all your queries.  I hope your hens continue to be healthy and provide well for you. :)

Regarding the red patch on the hen's underside, what kind of roosting bars to they sleep on?  Do the bars have nice smooth, round edges to prevent pressure points?

If they insist on sleeping in the nest (as I hear some do!) be very careful not to let them sleep on their droppings as they can get ammonia burns.

patsyg323

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 16:15 »
Hi Lindeggs

Yes, the girls sleep on wooden perches with the edges sanded off in a Flytes of Fancy hen house.  I scrub the perches down every few weeks to keep them clean.  Occasionally I have to chase the Bluebelle with the red patch out of the nest box in the evening but I don't let them sleep in there as they'd make so much mess the eggs would be all poohy!

The girls enjoyed another few grape quarters today with oyster shell inserted them.  Another squashed soft shell egg today by the Rhode White but at least it was in the nest box.  A lovely egg again from the Bluebelle.

kegs

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 12:03 »
The girls enjoyed another few grape quarters today with oyster shell inserted them.  Another squashed soft shell egg today by the Rhode White but at least it was in the nest box.  A lovely egg again from the Bluebelle.

It will take a few days to get into her system if it's going to work for your chicken.  If you can I'd give the oyster shell just to the Rhode White, the Bluebelle obviously doesn't need extra and it might make her eggs too hard.  Also it's not healthy long term for chickens to have too much calcium.  (Just a thought but is it pure oyster shell you are giving her rather than the shell mixed in with grit?)

xx
tiny white egg??

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 12:54
by batcatz
xx
Do Chickens like tubes?!!!

Started by Gobsheen on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 21:40
by Gobsheen
xx
What a tiny egg!

Started by violet on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 21:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
A very tiny egg

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 21:35
by blulagoo

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 35 queries.