Ash and soil pH

• 2 Replies

Vit

• Experienced Member
Ash and soil pH
« on: July 12, 2011, 13:47 »
Hello everyone. Again  :D Is anyone here had experience to use ash as neutralizer to increase pH? I know, it's all very specific, depends on many factors, but how many ash per sq m will increase pH for 1 point? Roughly.
I will do some tests on my own, but i guess to get accurate numbers i have to check pH one month after adding ash or so plus soil have to be tilled well.

Thanks in advance  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Ash and soil pH
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 13:57 »
I think you've pretty much answered your own question Vit!

No such thing as standard ash or standard soil (even of a given pH because the ability of soils to buffer acids and alkalis can also vary.)

I believe the alkaline components of wood ash are mainly carbonates and oxides, mostly of potassium and calcium. Potassium salts are quite soluble, so I would expect the effects on pH to be quite fast but probably not as long lasting as using ground limestone.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Vit

• Experienced Member
Re: Ash and soil pH
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 23:52 »
Thanks for reply. Well, limestone is easy to use, but ash contains more minerals, not only K Ca Mg. I definately will do some tests and don't mind to share results. What i can say at moment is that eggplants and cucumbers looks much better after watering with ash.

xx
How much top soil?

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 16:52
by kermit
xx
Soil help

Started by rideandy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 19:54
by Adey
xx
soil for Tom's

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 18:40
by pushrod
xx
top soil

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 20:26
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 39 queries.