How old can a mother leave her chicks?

• 4 Replies

megkaya

How old can a mother leave her chicks?
« on: May 24, 2015, 22:19 »
Hello again everybody! Sorry I am full of questions, I just hope the answers are useful for others too!  :lol:
So I have a flock of free range hens, and I have a mother with 6 chicks, hatched 2 May. But Ruby has decided today that she doesn't want to be a mama any more- she has laid an egg and been trying to get out to be with the flock all day, and didn't want to get into bed with her chicks this evening.
I put her in with the chicks and they all settled down, but I'm worried about tomorrow.
I can't let them roam freely as we've got cats.
Is 3 weeks too young to let them be without a mum? I don't have heat lamps or anything, and I live in Wales...
I'd be really grateful of any advice from someone more experienced. Thanks  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How old can a mother leave her chicks?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 22:56 »
Mmmm, awkward that one.  Hens usually get fed up with their chicks at around 5-6 weeks of age, once they don't need heat any more.

Not sure what to suggest as we never had chicks under a broody.  We had the incubator then heat lamps.

Beekissed

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 02:01 »
Nope, not too young if they've been free ranging with her and learning the ropes of flock life and range dangers.  They will sleep together for warmth and will form their own little band of brothers out on range.  You'll be surprised how well they do out there, especially if they are a breed that is good on range. 

Even when I have chicks without a mama at all, I always turn them out on range by 2-3 wks and they will start just around the coop, then work their way out from it as they get quicker and feel more confident in their survival instincts.  Never lost a chick like that to any preds...they are really fast and really good at ducking for cover. 

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28 »
You will need to be aware of raptors and members of the crow family if they are not protected.  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

megkaya

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 12:12 »
Thank you all!
I have made it so that the chicks can't get out of the run, but Ruby can get in and out as she pleases. This way no crows or cats can get them, but she can go and spend time in adult company when she needs to!
I won't let them out for another few weeks as our cats are really good huntresses.
I feel much better though and they all seem much less distressed with this arrangement, apart from Daddy who desperately wants to get in the run with them..!

xx
When does a mother hen leave her chicks???

Started by Brad26 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2010, 17:30
by Tazzy
xx
What age can they leave Mother Hen?

Started by ness on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 22:15
by muntjac
xx
Mother hen still with chicks

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 20:07
by bantam novice
xx
taking chicks from their mother

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 19:52
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.