Freezing runner beans

• 13 Replies

Sally A

Freezing runner beans
« on: August 04, 2007, 14:56 »
I've searched the forum to no avail, but could someone please tell me in simple stages how to freeze beans. When I blanche them does that mean cold water or freezing water?  How long are they dunked in boiling and then cold for?

My mum used to freeze them, but all I can remember were green bricks in the bottom of the freezer.  Is it possible to keep them free flowing like the supermarket sorts.

I really do need a step by step basic guide.  It may help if you can type slowly as I don't read fast.

Thanks

Sally

muntjac

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 15:41 »
blanch in iced water .freeze on a tray in 1.1/2 inch bits  bag mark n if ur anything like me still be eating em from last year in june this year :lol:
still alive /............

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:39 »
Hi Sally A

I blanch my beans by putting them in boiling water, bring back to the boil and then boil for 2 mins.  Put straight into cold water for 2 mins, then drain and place in bags in the freezer. They can then be kept for 12 - 18 months.  We also are eating the last of the beans we had last year.

I do put some straight in the freezer without any blanching, but these should be used within a couple of months.

Beans every day over winter, what a delight. :lol:  :lol:
ALLOTMENTNUT. GROWING EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING.  JUST GIVE IT ALL A TRY!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 19:54 »
But don't they go rather soggy after freezing.  I like my beans to squeek when I chew them  :shock:

allotmentnut

• Experienced Member
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 19:24 »
Agreed,  :D  they are not as good as they are when they have just been picked, but all winter they taste 10 times better than any you can buy in the supermarket.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 22:49 »
Quote from: "allotmentnut"
Agreed,  :D  they are not as good as they are when they have just been picked, but all winter they taste 10 times better than any you can buy in the supermarket.

That's probably why I don't buy them  :wink:   The only frozen vegetable I buy is peas.  I just eat seasonal fresh veg mainly.  But on your recommendation I'll try freezing a few of my own runners  :D

muntjac

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:12 »
they go more soggy if ya lump em up together . protecting em from feezer burn is the thing that helps keep em tasty.stick em in plastic bags n then marge containers

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 12:24 »
Thanks for the advice on this topic! Was stressing as i had recently frozen loads of beans without blanching and was scared they were ruined!!

Thanks for the help guys!

Daz

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 13:21 »
I don't always blanch my spare runners, but as I've mentioned before, OH doesn't like them frozen, says they are more watery, so yesterday when I picked loads and still had some in the fridge from the last picking, I chopped them into small chunks, open froze them on a tray, then bagged them up.  At least I'll be able to have them in pies, stews and curries.  

OH will eat them then, as they'll be covered in a gravy or sauce!!!! lol

EVIE

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 22:32 »
Quote from: "allotmentnut"
Hi Sally A

I blanch my beans by putting them in boiling water, bring back to the boil and then boil for 2 mins.  Put straight into cold water for 2 mins, then drain and place in bags in the freezer. They can then be kept for 12 - 18 months.  We also are eating the last of the beans we had last year.

I do put some straight in the freezer without any blanching, but these should be used within a couple of months.

Beans every day over winter, what a delight. :lol:  :lol:
Evie

EVIE

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 22:34 »
Hi, my friend and i froze the beans as they were, no blanching, but my firend has tasted hers and she said they were not as nice as when she ate them fresh, so maybe blanching is the best method, i think you bring them to the boil for a few mins then cool, and freeze, let me know how they taste.

Sally A

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 23:35 »
I was in charge of next-doors runners last week while they were away, I picked some for the other neighbour, my friend had a load, and then we sliced a load.

I had quite a production line going, boiling water, cold water, iced water, drain in colander, bag.

Managed to do 8 bag loads, not bad for one days pickings.

Boiled them for about 3 mins, then dunked in cold, then iced.

Hope I've done it right cos I promised friend who helped me pick and slice them that we'd have them for Christmas Dinner.

I do get a feeling of satisfaction when I see them waiting for me in the freezer though.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Freezing runner beans
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 23:38 »
Doesn't matter how you do them blanched or not blanched, nothing tastes as nice frozen as it does when fresh!

Except peas if they are done properly!

muntjac

Freezing runner beans
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 09:19 »
chop into 1inch bits ..., bring large pan to boil .have bowl of iced water ready .(use freezer blocks  :wink: ) drop beans in .,as soon as they change colour ..2 mins...... remove them and drop into iced water . allow to cool while you do another batch into the hot water /.remove onto a drainer .allow to dry and then use baking trays to freeze... bag up without using hands .use metal spoon .when you use them up cook from frozen add 1/2 tspoon salt to the water cook for 6 mins on rolling boiled water add the beans when the water is boiling ......... not before   ( this may vary to ur taste )

xx
Freezing Runner Beans

Started by weathergirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 13:10
by weathergirl
xx
Freezing runner beans.

Started by Capt Zero on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 20:19
by Yorkie
xx
Runner bean slicer and drying or freezing

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

21 Replies
Last post August 15, 2012, 18:06
by Mrs Bee
xx
freezing broad beans

Started by horticgirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 18:33
by Jake

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 39 queries.