My lovely Gladys has died.

• 12 Replies

LadyPluck

My lovely Gladys has died.
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:20 »
 I spend a good deal of time with my ladies (4 bantams) and check them all over regularly. Yesterday Gladys developed a sneeze. So persistant was this sneeze that I checked her over to see if she's perhaps got something stuck in her nostrils, but all was clear. Her eyes bright, nose clear, poopydoop normal. No sign of any lice or anything like that. They were wormed about 4 months ago.
I separated the other three in case there was something catching, leaving Gladys in the main coop.

This morning, I went out at about 5am to feed and water them, and let Gladys out of the coop, but she was droopy and looked short of breath. I sat her up, and she opened her eyes, scuffled about a bit, and drooped back down again. Obviously she had gone downhill greatly overnight. We popped her in a nice warm box and rang the out-of-hours-vets, but they were useless. They said they didn't stock any chicken meds, and to wait until our normal vets open (at 9).

We set to cleaning out the coop and disinfecting it all, and replacing all the substrate. Gave the other ladies some ACV in their water and some poultry spice in some poridgy layers pellets while we thoroughly cleaned and disinfected their run and little coop

By the time our vets had opened, Gladys had gone, bless her :(
I explained it all to her, and she said there was nothing they could do. If it was going to spread, that was it.

What's your opinion?

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Re: My lovely Gladys has died.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:27 »
Sorry for your loss ladypluck, its horrible when they just go like that, i am not really experienced enough to comment on why she died, but i know from my own experience is that sometimes they mask illness and its not till its to late that they die.
How old was she?
Did she have any other signs/symptoms?
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

LadyPluck

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:41 »
Thank you Nails
none at all, she was eating and drinking fine up til bedtime. It was just this sneeze.
We got her at pol, last October. She layed all through the winter. They all free range while I'm about to keep them off the veg, and have a big run when I'm not, and I garden organically.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:42 »
Im so sorry, i cant offer advice but would like to say how sorry i am that you have lost your girl, sending hugs xx

Jeanette

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 13:27 »
I am so sorry when they are ill they go down so fast and there is nothing that can be done. I am sending (((( hugs)))) :(

grumpydad

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 20:01 »
very sorry about your chuck.

from experience i know that by the time we usually see symptoms then they are really ill.

as soon as i have seen one of mine showing any signs, then they have gone on antibiotics, this has not saved any of them, there are some diseases that you just cant treat.
i have disinfected and removed the bedding and coop material every 2 weeks so far this year, and stripped the run material every month, used loads of virkon and stalosan, still not stopped the problems.

just try to clean and disinfect as best you can

whistler

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 20:20 »
So sorry you lost Gladys Lady Pluck, sounds as if you couldn't have done anymore for her.
Thinking of you. (Hugs)

LadyPluck

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:41 »
Thanks everyone   :blush:

LadyPluck

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:26 »
I think we're going to lose all of them. :(
We lost Aretha over night :(

TeaPots

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 13:07 »
oh no...poor you. Dont feel guilty though, as all sorts of wildlife visiting your garden may be to blame. It sounds like that fatal infectious respiritory disease.  All i can suggest is that you dont even think about adding new girls to your sadly dwindling family. Thoughts are with you,  :(

LadyPluck

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:06 »
Thanks. And no, I have no intention. I think I mightn't get any more for quite some time :( I don't know how long anything will lurk

woodburner

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 14:49 »
oh no...poor you. Dont feel guilty though, as all sorts of wildlife visiting your garden may be to blame. It sounds like that fatal infectious respiritory disease.  All i can suggest is that you dont even think about adding new girls to your sadly dwindling family. Thoughts are with you,  :(

Have to say I think it may be 'that' too.  :( 
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 18:36 »
Sorry to read that you lost Gladys
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

xx
How lovely :)

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 19:07
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
lovely day today

Started by ceri green on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 08, 2008, 17:59
by kimT
xx
COld but lovely

Started by slowef on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2007, 09:36
by Bodger
xx
Thank you you lovely people

Started by Viv on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 19:47
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.