Allotment & starting out

• 2 Replies

LetsStartHere

Allotment & starting out
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:50 »
Hi All
Just after a few pointers if any one can spend me a few mins?
I have just managed to obtain an allotment plot approx 90ft by 25ft
Trying to go the organic route, dug 1/4 of it so far by skimming off the top 3-4 inches of grass and turning it over and piling it in an area I have designated as a Flower bed x3 in total.
Marked off the entire plot into 10' by 10' plots which I will further divide up depending on what I want to grow and where. Don't think I will manage to get the entire plot dug this year so I have invested in some Tarpauline which I plan on covering half of the plot, digging this if I'm able.

Hope to plant the following:
Carrots, Beans, Spring Onions, Runner Beans, Peas, Leeks, Raspberries, Strawberries Logan Berries, Potatoes, Onions, Peppers, Brocoli, Courgettes Sweetcorn, Lettice, Rhubarb & Brussel Sprouts
I know this is a little optimistic for a starter but I'm an all in type of guy  ;) would appreciate any advise any of the seasoned Gardeners can offer and or pointers as to what would work best planted next to what.

poultrygeist

Re: Allotment & starting out
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 13:20 »
Hi LSH. Welcome  :)

Can't really offer anything other than encouragement. You should get plenty of advice from the experienced growers.

Rob 8)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Allotment & starting out
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 19:33 »
Hi LSH and welcome to the site

Firstly, plan your plot out - where do you want the permanent planting to go?  That's the berries and the rhubarb.  I'm not sure whether it's getting a little late for this year to plant these - someone else may know.

It is often recommended that beds are not much more than 4' in width so you can reach the middle without walking on the soil, so consider this when deciding how to split your beds.

You will also need to consider rotation.  This is growing plants of similar types together, and rotating where they are found each year so that you don't get a build-up of pests and diseases in one place.  You will find different rotation plans (3-year / 4 - year; also what goes together) on different sites but as a basic introduction I'd group together:
- beans, runners, peas
- leeks, onions, spring onions
-spuds, tomatoes, peppers (these probably better as a greenhouse crop)
-broccoli and any other types of cabbage
- not quite sure how I'd group carrots with the above plants.

It is generally said that courgettes, sweetcorn, salad leaves etc can go anywhere in rotation.

I have heard it said that onions and beans are not happy together, but otherwise I don't think anything really hates anything else.

Don't manure where you will grow carrots or parsnips or they will be entering the funniest shape competitions for you all year  :D

There's lots of info if you click on the Info tab at the top of the page, it takes you to a series of articles including (I think) planning your plot, as well as monthly guides.  Have a browse round there too.

Good luck!  And don't sow things too early - many plants don't need to go outdoors before the end of May, and will get very leggy if started off indoors too early.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
starting an allotment

Started by supermaman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 15:56
by littlelisa
xx
Starting an allotment.. what would you plant first?

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 10:19
by Christine
xx
Starting Work At The Allotment

Started by TheChilliMan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 19:20
by fibilou
xx
Starting back at a new allotment . . .

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 14:58
by Smudgeboy

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 38 queries.