Recycling straw

• 13 Replies

Yana

Recycling straw
« on: September 12, 2012, 20:15 »
The conversation with a fellow lottie holder went something like this ....
'if I were you I would burn that straw (used to pack around potatoes instead of earthing up) as your potato harvest was poor so the straw wont be fit to use for anything else.'
I would like to recycle the straw by using it as a mulch around the parsnips. But should I??
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

solway cropper

Re: Recycling straw
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 21:39 »
Why do you need to mulch round the parsnips. The straw might keep some of the cold off them but they're very hardy and supposed to taste better after a frost anyway.

Personally I'd chop it up and compost it.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:18 »
Unless the parsnip soil is cracked dry, there's no need to mulch it.

I too would chop up the straw and either compost it or work it into the soil where it will compost itself.

Yana

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 21:41 »
Oh ok then. I read in this months edition of one of the grow your own type magazines that imshould be mulching parsnips with straw.

Kirpi

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 00:15 »
Mulching parsnips with straw can help to prevent the roots from freezing in the soil when you want to dig them out in winter. Its more about stopping the earth from freezing than about conserving moisture.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 02:28 »
I'm wondering Yana whether you may have had blight on your potato plants.

If you did the advice you were given might have been to help prevent the blight spores from laying dormant in the soil and causing problems next year. Burning the straw, in this case, is probably good advice.

No blight?
Then there's a range of things you could safely choose - mulch if you feel there's a need or on to the compost heap as others have suggested.

When I can get it I use straw around strawberries (as do loads of people) and by the end of the season much of it has decayed adding to the general soil structure.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18 »
Mulching parsnips with straw can help to prevent the roots from freezing in the soil when you want to dig them out in winter. Its more about stopping the earth from freezing than about conserving moisture.

Then you'd need to use a LOT of straw to do that, preferably 'slices' off the bale that has no air or fluffed up straw pieces.

Kirpi

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18 »
Admittedly I don't have the coldest weather down here in the southwest even in the harshest winters, but I find a loose mulch of a couple of inches will keep the top six inches or so from freezing up, making harvesting much easier in freezing weather. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 09:24 »
Why do you need to mulch round the parsnips. The straw might keep some of the cold off them but they're very hardy and supposed to taste better after a frost anyway.

I agree with what SC has alluded to here.

Let the frost get to them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 09:33 »
Frost = increased sweetness / better flavour

Yana

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 21:17 »
My potato harvest was very poor and whilst I didn't have blight on my plot, it was prevalent close by. I'll burn it then to be on the safe side.

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 21:29 »
Straw won't hold blight over winter. A waste of good straw if you ask me - compost it or use it as mulch material next year. Up to you of course.

Paul Plots

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 01:17 »
My potato harvest was very poor and whilst I didn't have blight on my plot, it was prevalent close by. I'll burn it then to be on the safe side.

Whatever you do with it the goodness will go back into the ground.

Straw won't hold blight over winter. A waste of good straw if you ask me - compost it or use it as mulch material next year. Up to you of course.

I'm a little bit sceptical about blight spores in / on things on the plot... seems to me they are blown in and then, once there have been a few Smiths Periods, the spores develop. I don't think incineration helps a huge amount... I may well be wrong.  

Kirpi

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 08:04 »
Modify message Remove message
I know the jury is out on whether spores can overwinter on things they have been in touch with - others suggest spores can only overwinter on contaminated potatoes so they have something to feed on.

My feeling is contaminated straw would be safe to compost as the spores have nothing to live on over winter.

Then again, with blight spores being mainly blown in and across the whole allotment, how would you know whether it was your last year's straw or composted leaves or blown in from outside.

I grew potatoes under straw this year, my plants got blight as did everyone else on our site. The straw will remain in place and rot down for the next crop which will be the onion tribe. I doubt that spores will transfer to the next potato bed as the straw will be mainly black and earthy by then.

xx
Recycling straw used to cover potatoes

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 14:54
by Kirpi
xx
Recycling

Started by Tattyanne456 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 18:33
by Elcie
xx
Recycling seeds

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 19:02
by azubah
xx
RECYCLING SOIL

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 18:12
by Sally A

Page created in 0.394 seconds with 38 queries.