*******ing blight

• 39 Replies

Ice

• muck spreader
*******ing blight
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2008, 21:07 »
I have a fabulous crop of gereenhouse toms this year and no blight.  Last year I lost over 30 outdoor plants to the dreaded blight.
Cheese makes everything better.

paintedlady

*******ing blight
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2008, 13:00 »
Have to say that when blight has struck my tomatoes in the past, the leaves & fruit have looked fine but the early signs are a deep reddish brown stain that spreads up the main stem.  Thereafter the whole lot collapses very quickly.  Any green fruit taken off to ripen in the window that looked fine initially, all go slimey and disgusting as well.  Now I check the stems rather than the state of the leaves and at the first sign don't even bother "rescueing" anything - it all gets ripped out and disposed of as soon as possible.

Touch wood, my outdoor toms seem to be blight free (amazingly healthy but with very few fruit  :roll: ) but its not looking too good by the sounds of it. :(
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Maryann

• Experienced Member
*******ing blight
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2008, 13:08 »
Hi BJ

Well it is a bit of a mystery isn't it? I can't honestly say the 'leaves' were all that badly affected on my plants either. The stems had a few brown patches and the toms on the trusses were a mixture of healthy ones with a few brown mottled ones in between.

I wish I hadn't panicked now and pulled the lot up  :(  but you live and learn and next year I will be that little bit more prepared.

I gave my son who lives in next road along from us some of the tomato plants and he also has similar brown ones on his plants but is living with the problem for the time being to see what happens.

My daughter who lives about 10 miles away says her plants (from me) are all fine and not showing any sign of the brown marbelling.

I will have to get involved with the local horticultural society and get better educated about these things, I hate being ignorant.

Two other questions spring to mind....

1) Could there be another form of blight that doesn't result in rotting and slimey fruits but has similar symptoms?

2) Does it affect any other fruit/veg apart from potatoes?

Any answers much appreciated.
I Came.....I Saw......I Composted

paintedlady

*******ing blight
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2008, 13:58 »
1)  You might be mistaking natural die-back & leaf scorch (wind/rain/sun) to blight but there are no "mild" forms of blight that I know of.
2)  Blight affects potatoes & tomatoes.  I've heard it can affect peppers & chillis but I've never experienced it or know if this is true or not.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
*******ing blight
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 09:24 »
Hi Maryann. My toms showed exactly the same symptoms as yours so I'm now also wondering if it wasn't blight after all but something different. I ripped up half of my toms and left the other half - but stripped nearly all the leaves off them and left the trusses. Some of the toms have had the 'browned mottled' thing but some have ripened fine - and taste great!! They were/are 'Sungold'. So maybe defoliating (is that a word?!) is the way to go if we get the same thing next year. I wonder if it's a general fungal disease, like botrytis, rather than blight. Our spuds, growing on the same plot, have been perfect - but then again, we chopped the haulms off two weeks ago when things started looking dodgy. Our plot 'next-door-neighbour' didn't and lost the lot to stinking rot, poor old fella. Sorry, no real answers there - but that's my thoughts on it!  :lol:

gobs

*******ing blight
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 09:45 »
1) Could there be another form of blight that doesn't result in rotting and slimey fruits but has similar symptoms?

Blight is a dry rot. Slimey fruit is a result of other fungi and bacteria infecting the diseased plant. There are several different straines of this fungus, some of which only infect tomatoes and so on.

2) Does it affect any other fruit/veg apart from potatoes?

There are a lot of blights, too, this one, Phytophthora infestans only infects potatoes and tomatoes and not always both, see above.

The photo you posted is blight. Not all fruit gets infected at the same time, the longer you leave it, the more of them go as the disease gets worse.

Ten miles is a long way. Spread and occurance of infection can be rather peculiar within the same garden even, hence some claims about a particular variety/ies doing better than others, most likely to do with the air flow and other localised weather factors, since these varieties usually can be complete gonners in other gardens.

Tomatoes - apart from old low leaves - do not naturally die back in August.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Sheehah

*******ing blight
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 14:51 »
I have just been into the greenhouse to check my toms as next doors potatoes have had blight speading through them (not that I'm paranoid or anythig :oops: ) and low and behold 2 of the plants have got blight. I've taken them out and got them ready for burning but I am a little concerned as next door have done nothing with their potatoes so I have a feeling I might lose the rest. :(
Give weeds an inch and they'll take your yard

OpenSourceAgriculture

*******ing blight
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2008, 15:17 »
The "early" blight, Alternaria Solani (google it) affects the leaves slowly and gradually, and does not kill off plants completely.   The late blight, the Phytophthera Infestans, is the one that is vicious and wipes out plants in a day or two.

My potatoes had "early" blight for over two months but have come up with a good crop of potatoes.   They were Kerr's Pink, the tradional Irish variety, so they wouldn't have stood up to the "Late" Blight Phytophtera Infestans.

I'd rather not spray with Bordeaux Mixture, because Copper isn't very good for plants and wildlife especially when it runs into streams.

Best find a blight-resistant variety that doesn't need any treatments, and one that is suited to your soil, from the potato database:

http://varieties.potato.org.uk/search.php
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
*******ing blight
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2008, 21:20 »
Brown Marble Death here. All of my plum toms (8 giant plants, loads of fruit). Pulled up the plants, stripped off the green tomatoes and OH made them into chutney at his work. I could have cried; not ONE red tomato after a whole season.

OpenSourceAgriculture

*******ing blight
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2008, 21:08 »
Yep, brown marble death even here in East London.  All the tomato plants on my allotment plot went into Blight FreeFall just in the last four days.  When I was there on Saturday, they were still surviving wll from blight attacks.   Today I have had to pull all of them up.

All the bits of tomatoes that were still good have gone into a "Green chutney" pan.

The worst year for tomatoes I can remember.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
another blight maybe

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 16:30
by gillie
xx
Is this blight?

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2008, 15:27
by cray0752
xx
Blight

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 00:09
by Salmo

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.