Goats

• 10 Replies

carl

• Experienced Member
Goats
« on: September 18, 2012, 19:50 »
Thinking of getting a couple in the garden.. Any experts with some good advice please

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Goats
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 20:05 »
Don't!

:lol: :lol:

Depends on why you want them?  We had a couple of goats when we lived in Essex.  They destroyed everything they could lay their teeth into.  Including a very nice tree.  They completely stripped the bark and killed the tree. 

They did eat the weeds, but also any flowers they could get hold of, and when we moved to Lincolnshire, they ate a eucalyptus tree that was in the garden!

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:16 »
They can also be huge pests in their quest for friendly attention. A neighbour had milk goats and the dratted things constantly pooped all over her porches. Worse is when they try to put their hooves on you as they try to move in for kisses.  :blink: YUK!! Trust me, those hooves can hurt. And Grannieannie is right - if you value it, goats will be sure to eat it.

Another friend has milk goats and the buck absolutely reeks when he notices any of the females in heat. Bucks will liberally pee all over themselves  to attract the females in heat. She says he stinks so bad that the smell has almost knocked her off her feet at times when she comes into the barn. Another fellow has overcome this problem by keeping the buck penned down wind in a lower ground level part of his property so that the smell always moves away from him and the house. You might not have this advantage in a smaller property.  :wacko:

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 15:54 »
Goats and gardens?

No no no no no...  :D

have you access to any other land?

Goats are next on my list but I have the same problem... where to keep the so-and-sos!

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 13:27 »
I got a large garden and they will have there own penned off area with high fences

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 15:40 »
Cool.

Very high fences and make sure that they can't get their heads stuck between the bars. It happens.  :(

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 16:30 »
VERY VERY high fences! lol

When we went to Derbyshire to collect our chocolate brown pygmy goat.  The dominant male of the herd used to spring up onto the top of the goat shed and from there, bound over their tall fences into the field beyond.

Our goats weren't too bad with 5ft fences, but some are VERY agile!   ;) ;)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 17:25 »
What are you getting them for? Is it milk or meat?

I have a friend who adores her goats and has them for milk (and a kid for meat). SHe had them in a very firmly and high fenced area and feels that the advantages are that they milk for a long time from a kidding (up to 4-5 years!) unlike cattle. But they do eat everything and smell and the milk is an acquired taste!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 19:59 »
4to5years milk? Don't think so many say 2 years then have to kid again.. And the smell from the males only if not castrated.. Some say the milk tastes of goat but that's only if there's a prob with the goat.. Can't beat the fresh milk it lovely

Glaikit Lump

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 14:50 »
We bought our first goat earlier this year and still have a huge amount to learn. She gave us super milk through the summer, but that has dried out as hopefully she is expecting a kid(s) in January/February. While I know you ought to have 2 goats min, the local Shepherd takes  her out to pasture with our sheep and other goats (including Billies) during the day. A few things to consider:
Fences...been covered in the other replies.
Food...Goats need to be able to browse and like eat leaves from trees (our enjoys Mulberry, False Acatia, and to a lesser extent Walnut). They will not be happy grazing for food on the ground all the time. dont expect any trees to grow where you put the goat; but they will eat certain weeds (and flowers too!)
Shelter...You will need to provide shelter in the fenced off area just in case of bad weather unless the she has permanent access to her barn.
We enjoy having our goat, but are slightly apprehensive as to how she will cope in the winter (have collected enough Lucerne for winter feed and have plenty straw for bedding).

Hope this helps.

carl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 14:43 »
Thanks GL will be getting her as soon as I built her shed

xx
Goats 101

Started by Trillium on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

2 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 21:49
by nannytroll
xx
Goats again

Started by carl on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

8 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 13:28
by ronmcfadden
xx
Does anyone out there keep goats?

Started by NormandyMary on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 07:26
by arugula
xx
Goats on the allotment

Started by snow white on Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

5 Replies
Last post August 01, 2014, 13:31
by ronmcfadden

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 35 queries.