Can I trim Baby Lavender plants?

• 7 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Can I trim Baby Lavender plants?
« on: June 10, 2012, 21:07 »
Hi, I sowed Lavender back in Feb, I sowed about 70 of them, they appear healthy , but I think due to lack of sun back then they have become a bit curvy, some are a perfect little bush, the others droop over their pot. would I be able to trim them? They are about 2 inches in length, I dont want to trim them so they wont regenerate, but dont really know how to trim stuff.
We have suffered horendous weather and they have lived through some harsh conditions in my little Wilko greenhouse. They smell lovely but they look like they are growing sideways not upwards!!! Help Casp  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I trim Baby Lavender plants?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 21:11 »
mine were a little bit bigger than that when I gave them their trim (last year) they are nice and bushy this year and are waiting patiently for me to widen the flower bed and plant them  ::)

Have got a few flower stalks coming as well  :D

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 21:17 »
Thanks Mum, I wonder if I just stay patient and let them do their thing for a bit longer. They seem happy growing sideways, but they cany go sideways forever :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22 »
They are a bit young for their first haircut , but if you really must --- don't cut back into brown wood as they will not re-grow
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Spana

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31 »
My baby lavender plants seem to throw out a long stem or two while the rest stays ok.

What i do is trim this long growth back to where i can see little side shoots so its about the same length as the rest of the plant and use these cut off bits as cuttings.  They root easily and you can get a lot more plants that are not too far behind the rest :)

chrissie B

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17 »
i have some that seeded from a plant in the front garden which has since died , i replanted them along the fence in the back garden , the seem to be dong ok have left them to their own devices , im not sure on how to cut tem back or when , they all have flowers.
i also have a white lavender which im hoping to get some  seeds from that .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 10:22 »
trim them gently back after flowering, but never cut into old wood as it doesn't regenerate.

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 12:37 »
Thanks for that. yes Spana mine have a long middle piece and the rest are side ones, the middle one is longer than the rest of the side ones. So will maybe trim the long middle shoot. I have lots of plants, so I will chop a few and see how they go before chopping them all.

I think I would be afraid of trimming an older Lavender bush too. I hacked one in my garden weeks ago. I wasnt sure what variety it was but it was not an upward growing one. It was like a trailing one. It kinda crawled along the ground, not nice looking but smells nice. Its was quite woody and I did not have much to loose. I battered it with the shears not really carefull and it is now full of new growth, not wood like it was before. So must have done something right. by luck more than judgement.!!!

clip
lavender plants

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 16:23
by mobilekat
xx
Too late to trim box hedge?

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 30, 2014, 13:13
by Kristen
clip
Watershoots on Rowan... leave or trim?

Started by DanielCoffey on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2018, 00:20
by John
xx
my garden shrubs have received an extra trim this year !!

Started by starry on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 15:28
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 36 queries.