Temperature - how hot is too hot!

• 2 Replies

timn

• Waark - my blog!
Temperature - how hot is too hot!
« on: April 26, 2012, 13:04 »
I have an electric max/min thermometer in my greenhouse which has a trailing sensor as well as an inbuilt one.  I've hung it on a bolt about a foot from the roof.  The other trailing sensor is just below the plant height

I also have mounted outside a sensor in the garden on a house wall in the shade.  it's a thick rendered and insulated wall.

On Tuesday the outdoor temperature was about 15-16'C.  Inside the greenhouse even though the majority of the day it was raining heavily, the temperature at plant level must have at least for a short while been at 34.5'C.  The top sensor registered 41.2'C!  Plants are still damp and don't seem to have suffered.

I don't have automatic openers, it's very gusty and the sealant probably hasn't yet dried in my greenhouse (I've used general purpose clear silicone).

At night, with no heater it's dropped to a low of 3.4'C (I've found that it pretty much mirrors the outside lows - only about .2'c higher.

So what do I do when I go to work? Open them every morning at 6am and hope by 6pm on my return the greenhouse still has glass?

We did leave them open all day on Wednesday and the temperature was a steady 9.6'C which isn't good either!

I do have louvres - are they a good middle ground?

Considering getting an argos automatic greenhouse opener for £30 and fitting it on the sheltered side unless anyone has a better suggestion?
Tim N

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Temperature - how hot is too hot!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 13:13 »
Have you got a window on the leeward side of the greenhouse? If so stick a piece of wood in it so it's just held open a little bit, an inch or so, or open the louvres a little.... that'll let a lot of the heat out, and it's what I do with my polycarb greenhouse.

The glass one has an automatic oppener, which I always worry about when it's sunny & windy  :ohmy:

timn

• Waark - my blog!
Re: Temperature - how hot is too hot!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 13:21 »
Hadn't thought of that - sounds a bit more sensible.  Yes the rear of the greenhouse is sheltered by two large summerhouses, fence and brick wall  The front is totally exposed!

xx
greenhouse temperature

Started by hanssg on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post June 06, 2015, 21:27
by barley
xx
Autovent Temperature?

Started by Pimento on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 18:46
by davel831
xx
Greenhouse temperature

Started by Handy Andi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 10:48
by wil4025
xx
Propagator temperature - a warning

Started by Bernard on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post March 06, 2018, 09:43
by Bernard

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 37 queries.