Are your logs cut ready for winter

• 59 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: Are your logs cut ready for winter
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 19:45 »
from experience I sharpen my own saws by hand but after several times sharpening the saw didn't seem to cut as it should so I asked my mate that is well into chainsaws and he told me to get a saw gauge that fits  over the gain and you file down the guide this keeps the chain from ridding up and helps cutting so I bough one of those guides and filed the guides after that the saw was like cutting butter

maybe this mite be a bit of useful info to all our chainsaw users?

PS
 I think stihl  is the best buy in chainsaws although I have two Husqvarna's that are equally as good had no problems only to replace the chains one is ten years old still going strong  :D

jezza

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2017, 20:24 »
hi have just seen on a news clip a inquest about a tree surgeon who was killed on 15th of February with a chainsaw that kicked back  please remember to wear protective gear when using chainsaws, I know people who think they are invincible when using chainsaws and get very aeriated when I tell them that chainsaw trousers are cheaper than  half a day out with an undertaker, it was drummed into us at college to wear safety gear the tutor forgot he tried sawing a piece of wood with ice on it the saw slipped into the top of his leg he bled to death within a few minutes    jezza

Aled

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41 »
Good advice jezza.
Now my logs are nicely stacked and sorted, but there has been a change in circumstances regarding kindling. Until last year we had a recycling tip on our doorstep, and I'd visit the bottle bank, and at the same time take a load of wood off cuts to cut into kindling. That recycling place has closed and I don't have access to those wood off cuts as often as I used to.
Cheers
Aled

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 13:53 »
Looking good. AND some sycamore (aka weeds) to cut down close by. I need to use the bit between the garages first. For a start of I have idea what type of wood is at the back? And next time I will it build it higher. After all you can't have to much firewood just to little space to store it!!
20171024_102001.jpg
20171024_102046.jpg
20171024_102719.jpg
20171024_102023.jpg
20171024_102009.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 15:47 by cc »

Aled

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2017, 14:19 »
Looks good cc.
Cheers
Aled

rowlandwells

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 19:56 »
i to seen the inquest on that poor chap who unfortunately lost his life only doing his job cutting trees although I have been using chainsaws for many years both cutting wood for the fire and hedge cutting in the winter months

chainsaws need to be treated with respect there not a thing to be used and abused having said that two years ago I was splitting a large piece of tree wood with a not so good iron wedge my wife and grandson where standing watching a short distance away I struck the wedge with some force with a sledge hammer and the wedge flew out hitting my wife in the eye

I thought the worst when I saw blood coming from her head luckily the wedge had struck her just above the eye damaging her glasses leaving her with a black eye for several days  possibly the glasses saved to much damage

it really shook me up for several days and made me more aware of safety when cutting any wood I also use a large axe that is razor sharp for hedge cutting that would certainly take ones leg so always thing safety and don't cut corners when using your chain saws

Aled

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2018, 09:11 »
Good safety advice rowlandwells.
Got the chainsaw out yesterday, needed to thin out some Willow and a pine tree needed to be cut, so I cut split and stacked a good pile of logs yesterday.
Cheers
Aled

rowlandwells

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2018, 10:05 »
well done Aled I to was using my chainsaw seasonal hedge laying it beats swinging that heavy axe cutting about two chain as a please and thank you job for our local amenities park my way of doing a bit for the community

you know thin willow sticks or binders as we call um round hear are one of the best for binding hedges  :D :D

Eblana

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42 »
We are sorted and didn't have to do any work :lol:  There is a chap up at our allotment who took retirement had a lot of time on his hands and was finding it tough financially so he rented some of the rough land that wasn't in allotments off the owner and is splitting and selling logs, he was bagging them and driving around in a small van selling them door to door.  But so many people at the allotments wanted trailer loads that he is now only delivering to a few elderly people that he had on his rounds.  We got a trailer load off him last week and we have booked another trailer load for a couple of weeks time.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2019, 12:40 »
Got about a year and half worth all collected on my bicycles. Electric bike with trailer or just fill my pannier (4 large ones) On normal bike. Use battery chainsaw one battery does two loads for trailer.  Battery ones are up to it now, although the one I have is a little outdated but the updated one is 40% more efficient and it just arrived 10 minutes ago. Not opened box yet. Mainly go for fallen branches/trees which are generally dead anyway or put another way seasoned.  At the moment I appear to be nearly keeping up with use. Also I don't generally go out specifically to collect wood I am exercising my Springer Spaniel which I have to do anyway.

rowlandwells

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2019, 17:24 »
yes log cutting in full swing CC I've always bought and used  a petrol chainsaws Husqvarna but the Husqvarna was bit heavy for me to use last year after I came out of hospital so I bought a stihl msa120c battery saw much lighter than the petrol Husqvarna and it cuts lovely logs so long as i keep the chain sharp and the chain oil tank toped up

my granddaughter bought me a spare  battery for  the saw so  it cuts for a longer time depending on the size of the wood the two batteries last around an hour i worn out one chain and it cost £20 .00 to replace but considering what that chain had cut it was well worth the price of a new chain

also i am now able to use the petrol saw so I can cut up large  logs with that saw because it really drains the batteries out of the little stihl we use nothing but logs to burn and i built three sentry boxes to store my logs anyway good logging with that new saw  ;)

grinling

« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2019, 22:10 »
recently collected a tree for winter in 2 years time

rowlandwells

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2019, 08:55 »
not sure I understand your reply Grinling ?

grinling

« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2019, 22:43 »
We have 3 wood stores so  1 gets filled,1 gets emptied and if need be go onto next wood store.
This year finished the small pile left in shed 1, now using shed 3. Shed 2 was filled this year, so recent tree addition will be chainsawed and chopped next year to go into shed 1.
 ::)

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2019, 11:07 »
Forgot to mention I am using the Oregon self sharpening chainsaw.  You can  buy a replacement bar and chain and sharpener to convert your chainsaw to a self sharpener. 
OREGON 542314 16-inch Powersharp Bar  for 56 Drive Link Chain https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0049D9RJY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hgH9Db6G5N2K5
The latter according to feedback is a bit of a con as it doesn't include the stone?
My own is an actual oregon chainsaw with the stone built in the back again a bit of con as I can't find anyone selling the stones separately so need to buy chain and stone every time the stone wears out. Solved by buying the  box which fits on the front. Basically this

Saves a lot of messing about. May replace the bar and chain on my stihl  with a self sharpener.

Edited to fix long link - Yorkie
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 18:06 by Yorkie »

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 52 queries.