Storing potatoes

• 6 Replies

johnwilliam

Storing potatoes
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:06 »
This is the first year for my allotment. What is the best way to store potatoes I have grown ? Hessian sacks or paper sacks ? I have both Charlotte and Cara potatoes.
Thanks for any help.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
Re: Storing potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:37 »
Both are fine for storing, what you should avoid is plastic as the potatoes sweat. Some people wash them, others don’t, I’ve done both and there is little in it, the next main thing is to dry them well.
I leave mine out on the garage floor for a day or 2 then check them over and any that are damaged or holed keep to one side and use first.
You can store the good ones but check them occasionally for any that have rotted and remember to store in the dark as the light will turn them green.
Paul

NN2Blue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:41 »
This is the first year for my allotment. What is the best way to store potatoes I have grown ? Hessian sacks or paper sacks ? I have both Charlotte and Cara potatoes.
Thanks for any help.

If you have a local farm shop they might give you their spare sacks especially if you are a customer and ask nicely. Mine does and nice onion bags as well. Check that they are in good condition and bone dry.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 14:04 »
I use cardboard boxes as well, but whatever you use it's best to keep them off the floor, on a bit of wood is good, it keeps them drier  :)

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 16:33 »
Whichever way you choose of the above, you MUST make sure that the storage area temps never go below 32F or you'll have bags of mush. Same with keeping the area rodent free and rain free.

Sheds and such are fine for fall and spring storage, but if winter temps dip low, you'd best keep them inside until the worst is past. Always keep an eye on the temperature gauge in winter. It also helps to check through the bags from time to time so that any that rot in storage won't spread onto others.

Sorry to seem so negative, but potatoes are a live seed and really do need lots of attention so that you'll get to eat what you harvested.

Headgardener22

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 20:32 »
I always store my spuds in cardboard boxes (the ones that Tesco use for melons and such like). There seems to be a lot of blight around Nottingham and it makes it easier to keep an eye on them. The boxes are tough enough to be able to be stacked up on top of each other - up to about six boxes high.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 23:11 »
Remember to add a few slug pellets in the bag to curtail any wandering sluggies..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
Storing Potatoes

Started by Chicken Pete on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 17:29
by mumofstig
xx
storing new potatoes

Started by chickpeacurry on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2014, 22:20
by grinling
xx
storing potatoes

Started by Dopey113 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2012, 12:08
by Dopey113
xx
storing potatoes

Started by Flump on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 17:52
by Trillium

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 33 queries.