Raised bed building question & suitable plants?

• 0 Replies

spy

• http://www.landyworld.co.uk
Raised bed building question & suitable plants?
« on: August 10, 2006, 17:10 »
Hi all, here I am picking your brains again!  

I have a flower bed that was completely overgrown when we moved in a few weeks back.  I have set about clearing it but I just dont like it.  It runs along the length of our outbuilding.  I went to the local bargain DIY place this morning and noticed treated planks, (ribbed look like decking) for sale for £2.99 a go.  I was thinking of building a raised bed just over a foot high that runs the full length.  Never been so short of cash in my life, reckon I could do this for about £40 which isnt so bad.

Now I realise I will have to install some posts, do I just dig and concrete them in?

I would cover the existing bed with a weed proof membrane and then be adding new top soil / compost to fill the raised bed.  Is it OK to fill it with soil up against the bare brick wall or will this give me a damp problem on the inside?  Do I need to build the wooden wall all around to solve this?  

I would want to use this for some veg but also some decorative plants as well (gotta keep the missus happy afterall! ;)).  Can anyone suggest anything suitable (veg wise) for relatively shallow soil that doesnt get a lot of sun?  It is usually in direct sunlight from 8 - 11am ish but then is in shade the rest of the day.  I was thinking I could grow my rhubarb there?  Anything else?

Sorry for the mammoth list of questions!

Cheers,

Mike

xx
Is this wood suitable for building raised beds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 17:55
by woodburner
xx
Building my first raised bed...

Started by allotment-shed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 15:32
by Robster
xx
Building raised beds - lengths of boards, transporting boards to lotty

Started by GardenShed on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 21:59
by beaker141
xx
Companion plants in raised bed paths

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 20:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 34 queries.