Gooseberries - to keep or not

• 7 Replies

Marmaduke

« on: August 10, 2006, 10:15 »
There are several gooseberry bushes on my new plot.  I think I may have eaten one gooseberry in my life since they are unheard of in California where I grew up.  I am inclined to rip them out and stick in blueberries instead.  However, if gooseberries are the best thing ever, I don't want to find that out after I have gotten rid of them.  What do you think?  Should I keep them or not?

milkman

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:37 »
Maybe give the gooseberry bushes a stay of execution for a year or two and see how you get on with them.  Also think about your soil type because I think that blueberries prefer an acid soil.  I wouldn't be able to grow them successfully on my plot unless they were in pots full of ericacious compost because my soil is extremely chalky and stony.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

fatgit

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 17:46 »
Send me the fruit!
I've just got 1lb of black gooseberries off a bush in the allotment we just took over, and it's the first time in many years I've seen a fresh gooseberry.

I'd definitely keep them for at least a year, and sample the harvest before deciding, and gooseberry jam is definitely worth making.
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

jaycee

• Experienced Member
Gooseberries
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 08:44 »
I have 5 gooseberry bushes and was thinking of taking them out as I get so much fruit off them and I can`t get anyone to come and pick them.
This year in desparation ( I hate waste)I picked and picked and tried making gooseberry chutney. Wow what a success. So easy to make.
They are definately going to stay!

Marmaduke

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:40 »
Can I move them to a more convenient place if I keep them?

The soil levels are very, very uneven all over the plot.  We were hoping to dig everything over and level it.  The gooseberries are in an awkward spot.  I would be willing to keep them if they were at an end or a side.  Anywhere but in the middle.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:24 »
Try in autumn - prune the bush hard and get as many roots as you can - no guarantee but that seems the best bet.
Incidentally, what brings someone from California to Coventry????? You'll be going to Beirut for your holidays next!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Marmaduke

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 16:16 »
From California to Coventry with stops in Washington, Kansas,  and Colorado.  Moved countries to marry an englishman.  Met on the internet and everything.  It will be seven years at the end of the month.

I will give the gooseberries a year to prove their worth.

Oliver

goosegogs
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 16:57 »
Quote from: "Marmaduke"
I will give the gooseberries a year to prove their worth.
Fresh RIPE gooseberries are delicions and the kids who visited the allotment nearly stripped the bush! they had never seen a goosegog before, and to eat one ripe off the bush was such a novelty for them. She hates green goosegos in crumble or pies. but goosebury fool is quite nice now and again! Jam and chutney are also nice and worth making for Christmas presents.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

xx
Feeding gooseberries and gooseberries in pots

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 21:29
by londongardener
xx
Gooseberries

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 10:45
by Beetroot queen
xx
Gooseberries

Started by chris mutter on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 16:50
by Mr Dog
xx
gooseberries

Started by sillysuffolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:21
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 31 queries.