Nettle Tea/Yuck fertiliser?

• 13 Replies

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« on: July 02, 2007, 21:44 »
Okay so my comfrey died!  Just shrivelled and cowped!

So now I'm making nettle tea as fertiliser for my tomatoes.  I've a big blue rain barrel I half filled with nettles ( and one or two other choice weeds, but mostly nettles) a few weeks ago and the liquid now looks like gloopy dark tea.

Will this be good enough for all my greenhouse plants?  I've toms, courgettes, butternut squash, peppers, cucumber, and sweet potatoes.

All looks healthy so far.... (almost daren't type that  :? !)

Sally
Sally (N.Ireland) Organic as far as I know!

Plant plenty.  Celebrate success.  (Let selective memory deal with the rest.)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 21:49 »
Your comfrey died????  I've never known a comfrey die before.  I took a cutting from Kent to Essex with me, where it lived for 6 years in a big pot, sometimes it got watered and sometimes it didn't, when I got to Lincolnshire it lived in the same pot for another 2 years, and I had to break the pot to get it out it was so root bound, but its done marvellous and its little descendants have been posted all over the place!

Do you want a bit Sal????

As to the nettle tea, I'm using it on everything like I do the comfrey tea, but most of it has been washed away I think!!!!  but I'm no expert, so I don't now if theres anything that doesn't like nettle tea!!!!

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 21:53 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
Your comfrey died????  

I  know!  I mean how embarrassing - I killed the comfrey!  

Actually it may recover but it seemed to get something and just shrivelled - looked like a whitefly attack but I saw none of the little critters!

Anyway I have a local source to restock if this doesn't grow back.  Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 21:54 »
That's good, no probs!!!!   8)  8)

sunlover

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 13:00 »
Please tell me how you killed it :D   Our allotment is over-run, and I can't keep up with with it self seeding. There's only so much comfrey tea you can make!  The nonstop rain means we can't do much work there, and its taken over my strawberry beds, as well as everywere else!

WG.

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 13:03 »
Quote from: "sunlover"
self seeding
That's unusual.

A year under black polythene will kill it out.

sunlover

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 13:09 »
Whiskey Golf - I'm guessing its self seeding, as its popping up all over the place. This is a new plot we took over in April.  From what I remember from the last year at the allotments , the plot spent most of the last year under plastic as the holder wasn't able to work it. Wish you could sell it, I'd make a fortune!

WG.

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 14:06 »
Most common method of spreading comfrey is to rotovate - every piece of root regrows.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 15:13 »
Salkeela, I'm wondering if someone 'accidently' hit your comfrey with Roundup or such? I've finally trained my helpers here not to cut or spray anything until they ask me first. It's amazing how much help you get when you really don't want it.  :lol:

jaycee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 10:02 »
Oh dear.....I bought two lots of Bocking comfrey roots last autumn  from Suffolk Herbs and eventually had to plant in wet ground due to continual rain.
Eagerly awaited the first shoots to appear ............back to Tomatorite as only one plant survived.

sunlover

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 13:18 »
would you like some jaycee?  If so, please pm your details and I'll send a root - if it ever stops raining long enough to get to the plot some time this summer :(

Salkeela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 20:28 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Salkeela, I'm wondering if someone 'accidently' hit your comfrey with Roundup or such?

Doubt it... they know we don't spray!  

Anyway a quick inspection has now revealed some new growth from the roots... maybe it just got hit by something when stressed by the drought followed by excessive rain???

So I'll soon be able to make "tea" again!  :)

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 12:53 »
my comfrey still grows even in the chicken run it still manages to outpace the geese and ducks  i dug it up throw the roots into a corner to rot down no chance it grew there as well lol.
alan

shaun

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 21:01 »
a few weeks ago i dug a couple comfrey up for fluffy and I had to trim them them to fit in the box to post off,any how the stems that i cut off i put ontop of my tomato pots in the greenhouse and they sprouted just like a strawberry runner  :? so i stuck them in there own pots and they comming on just fine
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
nettle fertiliser

Started by breton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 20:31
by Steveharford
xx
Nettle fertiliser science research

Started by sladefungus on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2018, 08:14
by jaydig
xx
My choice of Fertiliser is 6X Natural Fertiliser . Would like Opinions please

Started by tmm on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 18:57
by Totty
xx
Nettle tea

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 15:00
by Yana

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.